1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

50% off Hummers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Mar 18, 2009.

1. I would buy a jeep. Mid 90's YJs are cheap and great.

lowsound

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    While there are plenty of reasons to dislike the big three (100k income for unskilled labor???), they are NOT the junk buckets people make them out to be. My wife has an 04 impala she bought brand new. 92k on it now, and knock on wood...still looks and runs like new, and has required zero maintenance so far. My civic bought brand new, had some issues in the first 8k miles, and a few more that I have not bothered to make them fix yet....poorly installed rear window tray that rattles with the stereo, loud clunks from the front end over every bump which sounds like something is falling off, which are both known issues. I already had to deal with them on the TSB about the rear control arms being too short, which ruined my tires in the first 8k miles. Call me crazy, but I've noticed the engine changing sounds, and I am not positive it isn't a developing knock at 52k highway miles....with maintenance done religiously. Economy? I pull 35-38mpg out of mine. The GM pulls a consistent 30-32 with twice the room, and twice the power. Both these cars were bought brand new....mine about 18 months ago. My extended family all has, and has in the past always owned domestic cars, with zero issues at all off the top of my head.

Jumping on a hate fad is pretty uninformed and ignorant.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    For some people, it's not a fad. It's experience. My father bought a brand new Dodge Caravan that for the first year he owned it, was at the dealer twice for total of five weeks getting front end issues sorted out. My buddy bought a brand new Jeep whose transfer case sprung a leak on the way home from the lot...seriously! Maybe theses two cases were anomalous, maybe your two cars are anomalous, but characterizing people who have a dislike for the big 3 as having jumped on a fad is in and of itself, equally uninformed and ignorant.

Having said that, I've seen many a Ford F150 go the distance. And I'm sure the Big 3 would love nothing more than to pay their employees peanuts...the $100k for unskilled labor is the work of the labor unions.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My parents are have this idea that domestic cars are still garbage. Sure, the last one we owned was a 1991 Dodge Grand Caravan that went through five transmissions in nine years of ownership. It was a piece of junk and had a poorly designed transmission.

My father before that had a Chevy S-10 and my dad spent plenty of time under the hood of it. And my dad's old CJ, my mom just plain hated.

There are several sources of biases against American cars, however, most of them are outdated, but the companies have already soiled their images by building garbage in the past. GM has come long distances since the mid-90's and the majority of their vehicles I would drive with no worries of issues.

I'm not saying they're flawless though, sure there's a lemon every once in a while, but when people drop $20k on a car, they're going to go with whatever they perceive to be the best value, and if they remember a hunk of junk from years ago made by the same company, they might steer away. It's basic consumer behavior.

Needless to say, I have only bought American thus far and have been nothing but impressed. Nope, not perfect, but good enough to keep me as a customer, proudly driving a 2007 Chevy HHR.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    From my 26 years experience twisting wrenches professionally, It would seem to me that the frequency of repair on domestic vehicles is more than on most asian imports.

European imports are another story, as in I wouldn't buy one.

6. My parents have always bought American cars, only because they buy used and look for deals. They have always done fairly well, but have had several lemons. Their two current cars are a Buick and a Saturn, both are great IMO. Too bad they are two that GM is talking of cutting out. For myself, I like my VWs, always done well with them.

lowsound