Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$50 potentiometer!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RyanHelms, Aug 8, 2004.

1. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    This is something I never thought I'ld see. New Old Stock? It's a $2 pot. Does a vintage instrument have to have NOS pots to be completely original? Is this going too far? I guess if someone wants to ask that much and someone else is willing to pay...

:rollno:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's all in what people will pay. Vintage gear fetches a lot of money because it has high demand. That all there is to it.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    That's nothing. If you find an intact harness (pots and jack wired together), it will sell for around $300. How is that for $6 worth of parts?

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Can you say "surplus store"?

Anyway, no bids. Go figure. :)

5. The thing is is that the pots are date coded. You could sell an instrument as 100% stock, but if the instrument was made in 1959 but you had a pot from 1963 you'd know some work had been done to the guitar and it's not what it's advertised.

It even gets to unbroken or untouched solder joints. That's why you'll see entire wiring harnesses (especially for Gibson's) going for big bank.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'm going to make a fortune selling surplus 1969 pots on eBay. WooHoo! I'm going to be rich! RICH! :)