1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

50$ tri-pod going to waste now. Yikes.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I finally got a tri-pod so I can start doing night photography. I payed about 50$ for mine, but then lost that little part that connects the camera to the tri-pod.

Of course they don't give you an extra, or even a way to order another spare part. So because I lost a little piece of plastic, that costs like 40 cents, I have a useless 50$ tri-pod. What's the deal?

The only thing I can think of, is just getting a new one, then taking out the little part I need, and returning it for my money back. I'm going to ask the clerk guy If I can buy a new part first, but who knows.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If you are going to enquire about a spare part, make sure thats not the shop you buy the Tri Pod from if you can't get a replacement.

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well I got it from meijer, which is a huge big box store. The return isle is a completly different section.

I kind of know one the of cashiers, he would probably just tell me to buy a new one for the part, and then return in (if there is no way to get a spare)

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    improvise dude. find a screw that will fit the bottom of your camera (careful with the threads, if they don't match up exactly you'll strip the thread in your camera and that will suck majorly)

and just build around that.

5. Did you check out the manufactures website to see if parts can be ordered? You may have to email them.

Check out someone like B&H photo. They carry heads and other parts for your better (expensive) tripods.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

6. To be honest, I doubt there are factory spare parts available for a 50$ tripod. Those things are usually pretty much disposable after you lose or break something.

Now HQ stuff like Manfrotto, Gitzo or Velbon is a different matter, but even their most basic models start at 100$.

7. I kind of figured that, but an email takes little effort.

Here's an idea.
    See if the same manufacture sells a mini tripod (probably under $20.00) that uses the same adapter.

If so you will have two useful tripods.

8. What brand and model is the tripod?

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    It is a Vanguard MK-4.

I tried finding a website, and I didn't get any kind of instructions with the product, and there is nothing on the box. No luck.

I might just have to buy a new one, take out the small part I need, and then return it for my money back. I really don't want to waste 50$ on something I can't use.

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You must not have tried too hard. Google hit #2 --> http://www.vanguardusa.com/mk.htm

There's a support link on that page to the right of the spec table.