50 watt all tube head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Jan 3, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    is really loud enough to play gigs?
    my trace elliot commando was loud enough.
    it is a guild head. is it worht $200? it sounds and works fine.
    or do you think that a warwick protube iv head is better for the same price?
    is there any way to make the tube head louder?
    is there any tubes that can replace the tubes in there now. with some work?

2. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    What he said. lets see... wouldnt 50 all tube watts make for 100 watts soild? or 150? i can't remember. in any case, i would like to have a heck of alot more head room than just 100 watts. Go warwick.
  4. It really depends on a lot of factors. The overall volume of the band, the type of tone you want to produce, and the efficiency of the speakers you intend to use. A 50 watt tube head is killer for guitar but is probably not near enough for most live bass applications. I'd try and buy something I was sure was going to do the job.
  5. You've probably heard this over and over on TB, but a watt is a watt is a watt.

That said, 50 watts solid state will be just as loud as 50 watts all valve (tube) if you're looking for a clean sound. But driven hard, the valve head will tend to develop a nice grind while most solid state heads will sound just distorted.

But, that may or may not be true in your case. Listen to both types of rigs (at volume if possible), then make up your mind.

Good luck!