$500/£300 Bass Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trog, Oct 2, 2004.

1. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Well, I've been playing the bass for about a year now, and this Christmas I'd finally like to move up from my crappy cheap Fender clone to something more "Ooh-la-la" :)

I have an absolute maximum budget of £300 (About $500) to spend. I play mostly rock, though I occasionaly do things that are a bit more funky. Due to my lack of big $$$, this will basicly be my only bass for quite a while, so I'd like to be able to get lots of different sounds from it.

I've been looking at the Yamaha BB604, but I'd really like to hear about any other basses that I'm overlooking. Wanna get the best bang for my buck, you know ;)
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've beem really REALLY happy with me Warwick Rockbass, Corvette Classic :)

I think it was £330. Where in the UK are you?
  3. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    you could probably get a highway 1 jazz bass. or just a standard MIM, which aren't that bad i say. i got a 5 string Dean Edge for about $500 American. that was pretty nice. i think those Samick basses list for $500 give or take a few.
  4. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    If you wanted more of a modern, cutting edge sound, look into Yamahas or Ibanez or something along those lines.

For something more traditional, check out a Fender, or possibly a Rockbass.

5. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I would highly recommend trying out a Musicman SUB bass. If you like Musicman tone and you play funk or rock, this thing is real, real hard to beat.

I've played a lot of different instruments and when I tried out that bad boy, I had a real hard time putting it down.

If not, then buy a Schecter.
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If you can find 'em used in the UK, I'd strongly recommend a used Lakland 55-02 or a good used Fender Jazz. I'm not up on the myriad of variations of Jazz basses (USA / Japanese / Mexican / Std / Dlx / etc etc) but I'm sure a lot of folks on this board could steer you towards the right one(s)

7. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    If you want a Fender in that price range, get a Japanese one. Those are great value, I hear, and some consider them to be as good or better than the Americans. http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/fender-j/bs-index.htm (Note: Look at the higher end ones with the American pickups and traditional tonewoods)
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'll say +1 for the Yamaha BB. My housemate has a late 1990s Yamaha BB 5-string and I quite like it. The neck profile is more comfortable for me than that of my Ibanez TR 5-string. Plus, I can get some really awesome sounds from those Yamaha pups. I dialed in this really great modern rock tone that I had fun grooving with. Much more versatile pre and pups than my Fairlane (which gets great upright and vintage tones, but nothing super modern.)

I'd be careful with the RockBass, though. While many on the boards like them, too many others have talked about theirs falling apart for me to ignore.

But what I'd do is go to a music store and try out as many basses as you can, even those beyond your price range, so you can get a taste of the "good" stuff. I don't know about you, but I tend to go for playability first. If the bass ain't comfortable, you won't want to play it, even if it has the greatest sound on the planet.

And if a bass a tad beyond your price range is what really inspires you, save up. It's better to have a bass you love and enjoy playing than one you feel kinda "ehh" about. The toughest thing is going into a music store and wanting to take all the basses home, so it takes restraint to walk out without one.

You might want to look into preowned basses. A higher end preowned bass may be better than a brand new middle-lower end bass. There may be TBers near you who may have basses for sale in the classified forums, and if you can visit them and try the basses out, you may serendipitously find something great. I bought my Samick 6er preowned and I love it to pieces.
  9. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    There are some great deals on Spector Q4's and NS2000/4's at 'Sound Control'. Give them a ring! These basses are solid and reliable with a great range of tones! :)