1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

$500 - $700 Amp budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Araillac, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been here. Been out exploring music with various instruments but ultimately, bass is the one for me which I'm quite happy about because I love this community. That said though, I still at this point don't know much about amps. My budget is around $500 - $700. I know I want a head and cab kind of deal. The genre I'll mostly be focusing on is alternative rock but I'm going to be playing in a metal band that plays in Drop C so I'd like that capability as well. My biggest issue is that I don't know which amps I can trust. I'm terrified of dropping that much money, which is a ton for me, on something that will sound like crap. I'm not an extreme audiophile though, I'm just hoping to find something that can be trusted, reliable, and has a good sound too it. Any suggestions? :help:

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    That price range you should be buying used to get the most for your money. If you're playing drop tuned metal you'll want at least 300 watts, and if you're going with a single cab for now a 410 would give you the most volume.

3. Definitely planning on looking at Ebay and the sorts. And good to know about the wattage and cab size. Any recommended brands for heads or cabs or any I should avoid?

4. Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0/6.2 great amps-reliable, powerful & light.

5. G-K 400RB IV, 700RB II, MB500 used may still leave enough for a 410 cab. Peaveys are good for bang for the buck. Might want to avoid most models of Behringer and IMO (only from recent threads) Ampeg's PF500, PF350 and SVT 7-pro on the used side.

6. Good information guys. Researching continues. Thanks a bunch and any additional information is certainly appreciated :)

7. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    If you go new- the GK MB800 is an utter beast. I got mine with a 15% off coupon from GC for around 600 with tax. Best amp value i've ever encountered.

Overall, I still think you are better off going used like some of the other posters have suggested, but I wanted to throw out another option just in case.
    Rock on!

8. Yeah that one's a little out of my price range but the reviews for it were certainly good.

9. bkbass2000

bkbass2000 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Asheville NC
    If it was me, I'd try out the Hartke LH 500 and a Ampeg 410HLF. I've seen both here for sale many times

10. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    Try the carvins, used on ebay, there are quite a few options. A mosfet (solidstate) ampeg like the 450, or svt (pro 3, pro 7, etc) they're around350-400...they'll hold their value if you don't like them...but they're not going to become classics, either.
    Hartke and Peavey amps won't hold their value if you decide to trade up down the road...but they will do the job.

Stick one of those with any ol' 4x10...GK, genzbenz, Hartke, ampeg...Say you drop $350 on the head...keep your cab price around $250 and bargain hunt the local craigslist, or even ebay for local cab.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    GK 800RB and a 410.

12. You might be in the market for a used SWR SM400S. They're great for rock / metal. SWR isn't really in fashion anymore and they are a used bargin right now. Typically $250-$350 shipped. 550 Watts bridged into 4 ohms can deliver a lot of push through a 410. You could further capitalize on the SWR brand in the used sector and look for a Golliath 410. They're usually pretty cheap as their weight makes them a little less desirable nowadays.

You can easily score both pieces within or below your budget and it's really well built equipment made for pros. As with any used bass cab, make sure it has not been abused as many of them have and need new speakers. New speakers in a 410 take away all the benefits of buying used and you'd be better off new then.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    There’s a few solid combos out there that would do the job, but if you want separate components (recommended) then your price range is a little low for “new” equipment.
    A Carvin BX500 into an Avatar B212 would do a great job for around 800 bucks. The TC Electronics 500w/15” combo got a great review in Bass Gear magazine, might want to check that out too.

14. With that budget and that genre of music you are probably going to be looking to get a 4x10 cab and you will be needing plenty of power. And if you need both an amp and a cab you will need to look at used gear.

To my mind, a GK amp (a 400RB or a 500MB) would probably suit the genre you want to play. You will then need some kind of decent 4x10 cabinet. You can then add a second cab further on down the line if you find you need more volume.