$500 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paintballer, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Paintballer

Feb 2, 2005
    Well I'm looking for a bass, right now I'm renting a Ibanez SDGR, what do you guys reccoment in that price range?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    More info. How long have you been playing? What styles? In a band? What are your musical interests?
  3. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Depending on the style of music and how versatile you need your sound to be:
    I'd check out the new Tune TWB basses for the price if I was buying new.
    For rock, the Schecter Stiletto plays and sound great IMHO as well as the Warwick Rockbass series. My local GC had good prices on Groove Tools by Conklin basses (which are excellent!) but they haven't had one lately.

If you're looking for a deal, set a price limit, be patient, and give Ebay a try. It's risky, but I bought two gems at a steal. Several basses mentioned above have frequently been up for auction.

4. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I've heard good things about the 'banez SRX505. In fact, I played one.
  5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    perhaps we could take this from the realm of the theoretical to the practical. If I had the money, I'd get this bass right now:

Another solid choice:

Here's a third:

And last:

Any of these would be good choices. There's some variety here. Good luck shopping!
  6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  7. In the $500 range, I would recommend Yamaha.

Check out the Yamaha

BB605 - $496.99 Active
    BB405 - $396.00 Passive

These are both 5 string models, but go to Musiciansfriend and check out the 4s as well.

They have a sound and feel similar to Fenders, though not exactly. (compare to MIM Fenders)

I have an older model (BBN5 II) and for $400 you just can't knock it.

Built well, and very comfy to play. Also, the 24 fret neck is a nice perk.

8. Paintballer

Feb 2, 2005
    Well, I just started playing bass right now and I'm renting one to make sure I like it. I'll probably playing rock/hardcore once again, preferable 400-500.
  9. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    If you are just starting out and really have no clue what you like. Don't take advice from any of us about what you should like. You need to develop some sense of what you like and don't. That will take a few months, or as least longer than any reasonable rental period.
    By an SX.. Look at Ebay and type bass sx. You will get a ton of inexpensive basses to look at. Buy one.. The cheapest is $109 plus shipping. Get one, play it for a few months.. Some things you will hate..Some you will love.. You may just grow tired of the whole thing.
    But at least you will not blow $500 on an uninformed decision.
    Good luck.
  10. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    G&L Tribute. Just do it.
  11. They have some nice Fenders too in the 500 range...I tried out an Aerodyne jazz not too long ago at my local music store, and it sounds pretty good. Actually, if you bought a MIM or something, they're only around 350-400, but you could upgrade the pickups and they would sound really nice as well. I have an MIM Precision and put 1/4 Lb pups in the thing and it sounds ALOT better. For a little bit more, you could probably get a Musicman SUB (i didn't care for it that much, but thats just me, and alot of people love them). These are just suggestions though...my best words of advice are to go out there and try everything in your price range to really discover which tones and which brands you like best. Happy hunting!
  12. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    PM sent to PAINTBALLER

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

14. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i'd go with a spector performance. great bass, great price!
  15. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    My thoughts exactly.
  16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Spector performance is good but not half as good as a Carvin. What is the biased against Carvin? you can get pretty much the best bass they can make used for 5-600, Sure the tone may not be AMAZING but for 500 bux its better than any other "beginner'' bass. and the construction is OUTSTANDING, it's on par with some high end quality stuff. Besides, tone ca be easily chnaged by swapping pickups/preamp.