$500 stand-alone 8 ohm cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Jul 11, 2005.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    I need to find one!1

I was looking at the avatar 2x12 neo but then im like, i have about $500 !!! So would any swr 4x10's or any thing by ashdown be good for this?? I dont want to go bigger than a 4x10 and nothing more than 500 bucks. I have an avatar 2x10 now, so should i go with the 2x12 neo and pocket the money for something else?
  2. You're not going to get a better quality cab than the Avatar b212 neo for $500 new. The only question would be do you want a different tone?
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    You can have a used Aguilar 212 in that price range. I'd take that over a new Avatar.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Buy the Bergantino 210 in the For Sale forum.

5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd complete the stack, personally. But then again, I'm slightly prejudice against rigs that consist of non-matching cabs. It's not as awesome looking in my mind.... but if you want to experiment, and dont care... then go for it, by all means.
  6. The GK Neo 2 x 12 is slightly more than $500. Worth every penny.

On a side note, where are you people seeing the Avatar Neo 2 x 12. I havn't seen it on his site.
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    July is supposed to be month for its release, last I heard.
  8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    For $500 you can get a number of various used high end cabinets, Bergantino, EA, Aguilar, Epifani, etc.

But buying another Avatar and having a matching rig and extra money dosen't sound like a bad idea either...probably my first choice since you already have the B210.
  9. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I contacted Dave at Avatar yesterday, and he is receiving his first shipment of Neo 12" speakers tomorrow from Eminence. The first Avatar Neo 1x12 and 2x12 cabs will be shipping out his door the following day. These are the ones on the waiting list, I would assume.
  10. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    the Dr. Bass stuff is in that price range too. no personal experience with them though, but good comments from other TBers
  11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Pocket Money!!!!!:hyper:
    Is there anything else on your GAS list which you can start saving up for?
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    This Carvin BRX12 (2-12) is a good cab:

For my tastes, noticeably better than any of their RedLine stuff. Can't say how it compares to the Avatar, not having had the pleasure of playing any of Dave's speakers, but for my tastes this Carvin is better than anything in its price range I've heard in stores.
  13. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The Schroeder mini 12 might be a possibility, but of course not a 4x0. The one without the horn is under your price range, and with the horn is only $540 I believe.
  14. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    +1 on the Carvin BRX12. This cabinet is phenominal! No need for a 15" or an 18" w/this cabinet. My neighbors love the tone!
  15. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    im thinking about just getting the 2x12 from avatar and then using that money to get something else later down the road. I just need to talk to Dave and see if i can get one any time soon.

16. Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    Dave has updated his website and now has info on the B212 Neos and other cabs and the new crossover.
  17. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Ashdown mag410T is an awesome cab - especially for $300 shipped! Save a few bucks - you won't be disappointed.