$500 to $650 range to add power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BeyondFiredUp, May 23, 2005.

1. Hey gang, I have a MegaBass SS rackmount head that I've had for years thats done excellent for me. Great tone and it's really LOUD to be only 200w X 2 (each side). I know however though as I add cabs and if I do a larger venue or play outdoors I need to push the Avatars I'll be feeding. B212 and a Pro410. Both 8ohms. The P head (rackmount BTW) has all the versality and input/output jacks for adding power sending power, xlr, send/return loops, etc etc etc... It seems like the only bad thing about it is it has that "P" word on the front! Enough said, what are some opinions to POWER UP? QSV RMX2450? Carvin DCM2000? I need to stay in my budget. THANKS!
  2. I got a brand new Stewart World 1.6 for right around the top end of your budget. It's really loud and sounds great.
  3. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I've still got one of those that I bought new over 16 years ago...

It's amazing how loud they are...

One thing that you probably already know:

There are four speaker outputs, two for each amp... each amp is 200 watts at 4 ohms...

So, you are either connecting both of your 8 ohm cabs to one amp, and getting the full 200 watts...

Or you are connecting one 8 ohm speaker to each amp, and not getting the full power of either... Right?
  4. Well, for now I was going to run one 8ohm cab from each amp section, just so I could have a dial in a different volume level to my 212 and another level to my my 410. My plan is I wanted to push one more than the other and vise versa for different rooms and needs. I am eventually getting another Avatar 212 and another Avatar 410 identical, and run all four. Then I am pretty sure I'll need the extra power. One guy in the post suggested a Stewart 1.6. Any suggestions?
    Thanks mate!
  5. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    You have the ability to add a poweramp to your current MegaBass head so you could go with the poweramp and just keep the same tone. This would probably be the best idea since you can cahnge pre-amps later if you decide to lighten up your rack from 2 amps to an amp and power amp.

Stewart 1.6 would be a great buy to boost your power.
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    QSC PLX 1602 is in your price range even brand new. I think there is a 3002 in the classified section here. Going with a PLX or steward will keep your rack a lighter ... and since I bet the head already weighs quite a bit, I bet that'll be a good thing.

A PLX1602 is plenty of power for any reasonably efficient speaker setup.
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    +1 for the PLX3002. Seems like itd be a good power matchup for your cabs with light weight. They're expensive, but if you go used, then your in business for sure.