1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

500 Watts???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DooWop14, Sep 21, 2008.

1. DooWop14

DooWop14

Mar 30, 2008
    I have a Fender Bassman 250. According to the manual, I can connect another head through the effects loop of the amp. My question is, if I make that connection to another Bassman 250, will I actually have a 500 watt amplifier?

2. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    hmmm,, me thinks that you'll actually have two 250 watt heads

for a total of 500 watts :) ( depending on ohms, of course )

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    NO. You will have two 250 W amps side by side, with the preamp section of one of them controlling the tone of both. You cannot run the speaker out (power amp out) of any amp into the effects loop of any other amp. You can run the preamp out into the effects loop, but the wattage of each amp only goes to their own separate speaker.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    The Bassman 250 manual on the Fender site says:

EFFECTS - (1) Effects Loop - Connect SEND to the
    input of your effects device and the output of the
    effects device to RETURN.

(2) Multiple Amplifiers -
    Connect SEND on the primary unit to RETURN on
    the auxiliary unit. The primary unit controls all
    auxiliary units except MASTER.

#2 is referring to connecting or slaving two heads (each powering they're own separate speakers) together.

5. DooWop14

DooWop14

Mar 30, 2008
    This is what I was referring to with my question. Would this mean that I'd be running 500 watts to the speakers?

6. It still depends on the number # of speakers and thier ohm rating.

For instance, if each amp is rated at 250W for 4 ohm load, and each amp is connected to a 4 ohm load respectively (either one 4 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs), then the maximum power available is 250W + 250W = 500W.

If using two 8-ohm cabs per amp, then you would be moving a lot of air, and shouldn't have any volume issues:smug:

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Stop and read. If you have two amps; each has a 4 ohm speaker; each puts 250 W into that 4 ohm speaker; then you have two 250 W amps. That's it.

8. DooWop14

DooWop14

Mar 30, 2008

Being nasty doesn't get your point across any better.

9. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

You will still have two 250 watt amps.
    You will have the sound pressure (perceived volume) of two 250 watt amps, which may be equivalent to one 500 watt amp.

Does that help?

10. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    see post #2.