1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

500k pots and quarter pounds on P bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass Pal, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Bass Pal

Bass Pal

Oct 28, 2017
    Hey, I'm new here on TB, this is my first post!
    Anyway, i currently own a Squier Classic Vibe 70s P bass and i absolutely love it, however I've been wondering about modifying it adding seymour duncan quarter pounds along with 500k pots, anybody got any idea what can i expect as a result? I know it'll increase output and add treble on my signal but it may be too much? I tend to use a lot the volume and tone knobs on my bass a lot so i think i could attenuate the output and treble with that, anyways, what do you think?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

"I tend to use a lot the volume and tone knobs on my bass"

There's your answer, if it's too much high end for you, just back it off.
    I'd rather have more horsepower than I needed & just ease back on the throttle, than have to push the pedal to the floor & still not get top speed.

Bass Pal likes this.
  3. It's a very subtle thing. People go overboard with concerns about pot values. In a blind test, you wouldn't know what was in a bass unless someone told you.

In any case, I thought that everyone used 500k pots with those pickups?

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have no complaint with the tone from CV70P , but her tone is more forward to aggressive side.
    I believe you just tweak your amp EQ in Smile shape to get QP-like scoop tone.

Justmy2cents

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    I am partial to 500k with QPs. They open them up just a little bit more, so it doesn't sound so congested.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021