1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

500k pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ringhammer, Dec 9, 2018.

1. i just opened up a new (to me) P-Bass that I picked up on eBay, and I see that it has a DiMarzio pickup and 500k pats. This is a passive PBass style pickup. I have never used a DiMarzio pickup before. It seems as though it has the ability to be wired in series or parallel, and it is currently wired in series (can’t see why one would wire it in parallel?).
    Is there a reason the DiMarzio is using 500k? I do not know what model it is.

I am replacing the scratchy volume pot, as well as adding a bridge pickup. I usually go with 250k volume, 250k blend and 250k tone pots.

If I decide to,try doing this with 500k, what differences could I expect?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If you use 500, no difference because that’s what’s already there. 250s will be a little less trebly: like when you turn down a 500 and lose top end.

Parallel will reduce output and sound thinner. Personal preference whether you would find it useful or not.

3. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    You likely have a Model P in there. In series, it’s a muscular, punchy pickup, with less high end than typical. That’s probably why they used 500k pots.

Parallel wiring extends the highs and is less punchy (and lower volume), and Model P is one of the few P pickups that doesn’t sound too wimpy in parallel. Still, most prefer the typical series wiring.

I would suggest adding a Model J pickup (assuming it’s a model P in there), and use 500K pots for sure. Maybe even 1M for volume. Adding another pickup will increase the load, further damping the high end. Or use a pickup selector switch instead of blend... Also, for a PJ, some like the ability to switch the P to parallel, as it sometimes better blends with the J.

Bolsyo likes this.
  4. Thanks, I’m actually adding a PBass pickup in the bridge position. I’ll go with the 500k pots.

sikamikanico likes this.
  5. Dimarzio recommends 500k. I know with the J pups they sound too dark w 250k.(at least that's what many report.)

Bolsyo likes this.
  6. sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Good choice, I prefer PP to PJ! Classic orientation or reverse P? Reversing the pickups on a dual P imo really works well... just a thought, and a video comparison:

Teacher and 5StringPocket like this.
  7. I noticed the new DiMarzio Model P pickups look like they have adjustable pole pieces(?). Looks like Allen screw centers.

The set I have must be older, as it has standard solid magnets that are smooth on the top.

Anyone know where I can find an older set?

8. sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I think all Model Ps came with adjustable pole pieces. You may have an Area P?

9. YES!! That’s what I was looking for. DiMarzio does not show the Area P on their website, but I found some on eBay (of course)

Thanks, another problem solved thanks to TB’ers