Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

500k push pull pot wiring help ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rainy, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Rainy

Rainy

Sep 22, 2003
    Croatia, Zagreb
    Hi !

I have Warwick Fortress one 5 with two emg J pups and MEC electronics. The volume pot passed away so I wanted to replace it. I bought this one ->

[​IMG]

and I don't know where should I put each wire on this pot. I have 4 wires: two that are going out of MEC onboard preamp, one that's wired on the blend pot and one that's wired on the input jack.

If somebody could tell me (or draw me :) how to wire this pot I would be very gratefull :)

Thanks ! :)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    can you take a photo of the existing pot? That's going to be essential to get the wiring correct.

If you look at the pot standing up, with dpdt section below and pot on top, I'll number the lugs 1 through 6. 1 - top left, 2 - top right to 6 - bot right.

1 - connect to 2
    2 - connect to 1
    3 - wire from blend pot
    4 - wire to jack
    5 - to preamp input
    6 - from preamp output

With switch pulled up, 3 will be joined to 1 and 4 joined to 2, so your signal from blend pot will go to jack bypassing the preamp. With switch down in regular setting, 3 is joined to 5 and 4 is joined to 6, so the signal gets sent through the preamp.

I need a photo of your current vol pot to identify which is preamp input and output.

3. Rainy

Rainy

Sep 22, 2003
    Croatia, Zagreb
    @ finger blister: tnx, but I don't have any use from these shematics :(

@ davidmwilson : tnx for help, here are two pics of my pot. It's wired as you told me and passive/active swtich works, tone is here, but volume pot has no use :( when I try to reduce the volume it's stays the same, I belive this is because I didn't wire those three lugs of the pot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/quakaa/P1010028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/quakaa/P1010027.jpg

I hope that pics will help to tell me what should I wire to those free lugs ! Tnx again :smug:

p.s. sorry for the mess :bag: :D

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I explicitly asked for a picture BEFORE doing anything, so I could give you final wiring config.

I believe you should take the wire going to output jack and wire it to the left most lug on vol pot (ground is right pot), and a wire should go from lug 4 to the middle lug on the vol pot.

Please also take more care with your soldering, it looks like you almost have several connections touching.

5. Rainy

Rainy

Sep 22, 2003
    Croatia, Zagreb
    I know, but I already unwired it before :rollno: :bag:

I did it and it works, but not 100% as I wanted it, the problem is that volume pot when i turn it down as it goes it's not muted, just more quiet :( maybe the problem is in the very pot :scowl:

yes I know, I'm a messy guy, nobody can help me :)

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003