1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

500k vs 250k vol for stingray style pickup (mec/Warwick)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ubernator, Mar 24, 2017.

1. 250k vol before preamp/push pull passive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 500k vol before preamp/push pull passive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 25k vol after preamp, active only

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. 500k stack vol/tone before preamp/push pull passive

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. 250k stack vol/tone before preamp/push pull passive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    This pickup is punchy/snappy, really crisp on the high end and all the lows I need (it is from a Warwick fna) I put it in my olp about 15 years ago, initially just using one of the stock pots (original pickup was wired each coil with its own volume pot, this pickup is hardwired to 2 conductors), for years that's how I used it, when I had the pots upgraded, the tech forgot to save the old pots for me, so I don't know what the original values were. I am assuming 250k.

It now has 250k CTS pots, and with fresh strings it is very snappy. It is my understanding that 500k will give an even brighter tone, and is frequently used in humbuckers (I know the stingray style is not the typical humbucker, large poles and parallel etc...)

The catch is this. I am putting a Duncan stc-2c-bo preamp in the bass, and am about to wire it like an early stingray, 25k volume pot after the preamp.

BUT, I am toying with the idea of wiring the preamp after a 250k or 500k push pull, with the idea of using that as an active/passive switch (just volume, no tone in passive mode, no more room unless a stacked push pull is available, another idea...)

Stick with 250k known quantity? Go 500k for brighter sound? Or keep with the plan of 25k post preamp volume and forego the passive option?

I do like the ability to have a super snappy sound on tap, and am aware 500k without a tone in passive mode might be a bit much. I have a whopping $4 into the 25k pot so I might start wiring it up soon. I might hold off and consider the push pull options, not sure a push pull stacked pot would even fit without routing. I don't want to route. The standard push pull looked like it might have been pushing it as is. (The preamp barely fits the depth of the route)

Finally, what is more important to me, is having the bass be similar in output to my FNA, same pickup, different Duncan preamp, but it appears the volume is after the preamp in that. I don't have passive modes on my FNAs, so it is more of a curiosity rather than a "need" to have the passive option.

Sorry for long windage.

No carrots on the poll, sorry. I consider the 25k the "carrots" equivalent :)

2. The difference between pot values is subtle. Don't make too much out of something that is hardly going to make a difference in the end.

If you want bright, go for 500k. If you want warm, go for 250k.

3. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Thinking I might delete this thread. I let my ocd get the better of me, and then started thinking about push pulls. Maybe I will try that later.

I installed it with the 25k pot after the preamp, and I had a hard time putting it down afterwards!

4. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    If you like it, then why overthink things?

5. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Post was made before I actually wired it up, I almost didn't, was going to wait for more info/opinions and go straight for a 250 or 500k push pull option. Then better senses prevailed (a bit of scraped resin perhaps) and I got out the soldering iron and got er done...

Just don't know how to delete the thread, just gonna leave it I guess. Another obscure ubernator anxiety thread with barely any activity...

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021