1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

500w class d recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vinnydbass, Oct 6, 2018.

1. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Can't say anything much about the other choices, but can say I love my PF500: sturdy, light, loud and sounds great.

scf4003 and vinnydbass like this.
  2. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I have the 800+. It's 400w with one cab at 4ohms.

3. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    No, its 400w at 8ohms, 800 at 4 ohms

PDGood and agedhorse like this.
  4. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    After years of using and Ampeg SVT-CL I swapped to the GK 500MB Fusion and haven’t looked back. Great selection of tones, unlimited controls, 2 channels and WAY more power than you’ll ever need!

5. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    After having the GK MB-800, the D-800+ and now the GK MB-800 fusion. I would say just about any of those three will satisfy just about anyone in the world.

Right now I’m digging the fusion 800.

The Mesa D-800+ is still on my mind but I’m very happy.

Al Kraft likes this.
  6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    This ^^^.

7. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Damn, thats alot coming from an ampeg user. Its looking like gk for me.

8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The TH500 is a great head, but it's more old school sounding and anchors one end of the voicing spectrum while the GK MB500 anchors the other (more hi-fi/modern sounding). Both are fine amps in every respect, but tonally very different. IME a TH will never sound like a GK, but with the right pedal in front of it (e.g. Tech 21 VT Bass) you can get some TH type sounds from the GK.

It really comes down to what works to help you get your preferred sound. FWIW the Mesa D-800/800+ fills in the space between those two pedals and a D-800 might be available used with more transferable factory warranty coverage left than some new heads come with. As also mentioned, the Quilter BB800 is worth a listen as its quality and price make it very attractive IMO. I have not played or heard the BB800, but own all the other models I mentioned.

acleex38, Wicked G and Haroldo like this.
  9. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have the Tc Electronic BH 800 and a Traynor SB 500. Both are phenomenal and reliable. I retired a MarkBass SD 800 that was also a great sounding unit. It is really hard to go wrong with any of today's offerings.

mattjbass, Wicked G and Al Kraft like this.
  10. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    +1 on Traynor...while I don't own anything by Traynor now, I've always been impressed with their gear and found it to be pro-quality and very reliable.

murphy likes this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    GK MB500... yes.

Used... even better.

Al Kraft likes this.
  12. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I also have the Traynor SB112 combo for tighter stages. That combo is what got me curious about thier class d heads. I was able to pick up the SB500 head very inexpensively, and I am impressed! Really tight, can be overdriven in the gain stage, and also has a separate low end expander. A very good unit. I also formerly had the GK MB800 fusion, but I never bonded with it. Different strokes I guess.

murphy and Al Kraft like this.
  13. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Correct. My mistake.

14. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Flexability? You need an amp that can run at least 2.67 ohms. That's a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab together (or separate), or 3 8 ohm cabs. There are others but these would be on my list.

Mesa D800+
    Aguilar AG700
    Quilter BB800
    Genzler Magellan
    Thunderfunk

15. I would go darkglass. I have the 900 and I love it, super flexible and sounds great. Also would say check out the Fender Bassman 500 and the new orange terror bass 500, that thing looks amazing and the sound is really really nice.

16. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. ;)

vinnydbass likes this.
  17. Another option is the Orange Terror Bass 500. Looks like Orange is producing them again.

18. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    My college had a deal with long and mcquade and bought all traynor equipment for their bass amps. Combos and big rigs, i played through them everyday for four years. Also alot of venue house amps in the eary 2000’s were traynors for some reason. I have hated them all to the point of never taking them seriously again. They just sounded like plastic fart, all of them. The only traynor stuff id bother looking at is their vintage tube heads, different animals as the circuits were straight up marshall copies handwired here in canada. Thanks for the input though, just my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    murphy likes this.
  19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 user here! Been a great amp for everything I need, gigging and recording-wise. These day I use it with a couple of LDS cabs Don made me a few years ago. I used to own a couple of Markbass amps (LMII and F1) both were great amps but I did have cutting out issues on the F1 infrequently with one cabinet I used to own). Other micro amps I've owned over the years were three different Walter Woods amps, all great in their own ways.

20. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    This is what i hoped someone was going to say. I think the mb500 is going to be the one.

arbiterusa and Al Kraft like this.