1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

500w class d recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vinnydbass, Oct 6, 2018.

1. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Another vote for the MB500. I got mine for $300 used and it's a hi-fi powerhouse. Not traditional GK sound (which I love, and will probably get a 700RB just for that at some point). Just big, hifi and plenty of low end slam.

Al Kraft likes this.
  2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    In a mix I think the MB probably holds it own from an audience perspective against an RB, but assuming an MB is just a class D version of the RB isn't being fair to the RB IMO. I like both, currently own the MB heads, but firmly believe the RB heads are the genuine GK gold standard.

Wicked G likes this.
  3. Frank77

Frank77 Supporting Member

May 2, 2011
    Montréal, Canada
    Potentially, yes. Your cabs are rated 200W rms each, so most heads out there in the 500-800W ballpark could cause damage if you crank it and/or use extreme EQ settings. Use your ears!

4. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    The VLE and VPF indeed are; it’s transparent with both of those dialed off.

vinnydbass likes this.
  5. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I loved my RB700-II, sounded great. I have no experience with the Class D GK heads, but I did make that assumption.

vinnydbass and Al Kraft like this.
  6. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Hey OP, I have played through every single amp you have listed, with the exception of the TC BQ500 (still not out yet), and they are all pretty different sounding. The best bet would be for you to try each out and see what you prefer.

Although out of all of them, the only one I am not a fan of is the Darkglass MT500. It lacks in low end at higher volume, rated at 500 watts at 20% distortion which is not very clean at again higher volume and is also not Phantom Protected. I wrestled with that amp for a few weeks before I finally threw in the towel.

A Darkglass pedal would probably be better in front of another amp and would also give you more versatility. IMHO and IME, but YMMV.

vinnydbass likes this.
  7. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    I was worried about the darkglass. I mean, most demoes you see are appropriate for the heavy or metal genres. Ive actually never heard it clean, but my main concern was if the pedals are better as stand alone units or incorporated into the amp. The more i think about it, id rather have a good clean sound to inject effected tones into. Ampeg stuff is as coloured as im willing to go.

Wicked G likes this.
  8. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    How does the mb500 compare to the fusion version?

Wicked G likes this.
  9. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    When I tried them out and chose the MB over the MBF I thought that the F version was a touch more harmonically busy/rich/interesting especially in the mids. It was not enough to make me feel it was something that would make a difference in a band mix though.

I also thought that the plain MB stayed cleaner as it got pushed for high volume better than the F version. Both are excellent - it just came down to me wanting that clean GK sound if I needed to push it hard and the MB having enough tonal fullness that I didn't feel I needed the F version.

Wicked G and vinnydbass like this.
  10. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    The OD on the Darkglass is pretty freaking awesome which is why I kept trying with that amp. But I wanted to be able to switch from clean to distortion on certain songs and I was finding that the clean at higher volume was not as clean as I had wanted. I like some breakup, but the Darkglass was just a little too much at higher volume and the clipping it would generate due to it not being Phantom Protected was not very pleasant.

The Fusion has some nice mid complexity that sounds great at home, but I'm not so sure you'll be able to hear that added complexity in a band mix. The MB500 can sound a bit sterile at home, but you'll have no trouble being heard in a band mix. Either amp will work fine, it will be up to you to decide if the price is worth it to you for the added complexity of the Fusion.

Edit: Lol, Al beat me while I was typing and working. But +1 to everything he said.

Al Kraft and vinnydbass like this.
  11. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Both folks above beat me to it!

I play both amps as my main gigging amps, and they're more or less interchangeable. The MB will stay clean at a bit higher gain setting. The tonal differences are pretty subtle, but they show up more at higher gain levels. I think the MBF has a more of a "tube in the preamp" feel at gain levels above noon. ...duh. Both will get hella loud and clean if the gain is kept low and the master cranked.

Honestly, the MBF is racked for when I'm the one doing PA duties, and the MB isn't for when I ain't. I love 'em equally.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Al Kraft likes this.
  12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Perhaps I am confused here, but what does the lack of a phantom power protected DI out have anything to do with the sound out the amp, itself?

Dadagoboi likes this.
  13. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    For that you would have to ask Douglas Castro himself. He is the one that told me that the clipping I was getting was because the amp was not Phantom Protected.

14. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    If I'm not mistaken there were some early SWR heads that could actually be damaged if there was phantom power present at the DI out connection. As best I know most all modern heads are protected from phantom power issues as a matter of design practice. @agedhorse would be the guy I would ask about this as I recall reading something he wrote on this topic within the last year or two.

Wicked G likes this.
  15. mattjbass

mattjbass

Mar 23, 2017
    I’m digging my TC BH550. The TonePrint thing is pretty cool. It has warm dark tone though,which I like actually. Even though it’s a newer amp it does have an old school sound. For sure not as punchy as a GK(which I also like)

jeff7bass and Wicked G like this.
  16. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Yup I agree, but you would think by now all modern amps would be. Surprising that some manufacturers still don't. :rollno:

Al Kraft likes this.
  17. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Does "Phantom Protected" (as referenced by the OP of the term) refer to power, or mebbe a always-on limiter?

18. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    MarkBass Little Mark III is my favorite. Second is the Peavey MiniMax

19. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Here is a Sweetwater explanation for Phantom Power:
    How Phantom Power Works | Sweetwater

Most newer amps do have protection built into their DI's.

Al Kraft likes this.
  20. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Really? I seem like I don't know what Phantom Power is?

Mr. G originally said, "Although out of all of them, the only one I am not a fan of is the Darkglass MT500. It lacks in low end at higher volume, rated at 500 watts at 20% distortion which is not very clean at again higher volume and is also not Phantom Protected. I wrestled with that amp for a few weeks before I finally threw in the towel.

Mr. Scott said, "Perhaps I am confused here, but what does the lack of a phantom power protected DI out have anything to do with the sound out the amp, itself?"

Mr. G replied, "For that you would have to ask Douglas Castro himself. He is the one that told me that the clipping I was getting was because the amp was not Phantom Protected."

Nowhere did Mr. G say, "Phantom Power", nor did he mention a "DI". FWIW, it seems to me he was speaking of high volume, number of watts, and distortion related thereto.

And so, again, I ask, does "Phantom Protected" reference a limiter or some other such protection circuit?

EDIT: and now I see, going back and "checking my work", that you are Mr. G. :laugh: Are you sure Mr. Castro was referencing the DI? Was the DI being used at that time you experienced the clipping issue?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018