1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

500w class d recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vinnydbass, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Yes Mr Castro was referencing the DI, yes the amps DI and the PA's Phantom Power was being used by the sound guy and Mr Castro had also recommended that I use a separate DI instead which to me sounded more like a work around to the amps inability to handle Phantom Power.

There were other issues as well that made me decide to just send the amp back. I didn't want to try to work around that amps shortcomings when I already had other amps that gave me no issues whatsoever and also sounded better to me IMHO.

Now to the OP, sorry for the derail and good luck with your purchase.

2. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Cool!

I'm kinda a literal guy when it comes to language, and I didn't get that.

Thanx for taking the time to explain! :cool:

3. tom dicus

tom dicus Supporting Member

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    I'm curious why the Fender Bassman 800 or 500 hasn't been mentioned. Are they not class D? I really dont know.
    Thanks

4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    You just did, but it might not have been mentioned so far because the Bassman 800 has a valve pre amp and a solid state power amp.

5. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    Eden.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

6. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I've been gigging a GK MB500 for a couple years and really like it (I use it with either 1 or 2 112s, or occasionally a 410 hartke). It's been reliable and sounds great, BUT if you are a fan of the ampeg sound, this probably isn't what you are looking for. The GK voicing is pretty bright and clean all the way up. Genzler doesn't make a 500, but a 350 and an 800. i've played the 800 and it is probably the one class D amp I've played that I'd rather have than my GK. You might also look at Bergantino's forte. I played A B:Amp once and it was great. The forte is basically the same amp without all the cabinet matching profiles and built in FX. It is also 800. Mesa Boogie D800 would be another to look at. There's really no downside to the 800W amps but the price

7. I used a SWR750 with a 210 Aguilar cab and a EV 15 cab, for a long time, but after i turn 60 years old old i got tired of dragging it all around. So I purchase a MarkBass Jeff Berlin 151p with a 15. I made a little top for the MarkBass II and can take it out like a head, and use it on a Hartke 210 or 12. 282299087_1.

8. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    The Fender Rumble 500 has been said here on TB to work quite well with a very wide variety of 8-ohm cabs (for 350 watts) or 4-ohm cabs (for 500 watts). My Rumble 500 combo has also sounded great with a few different 8-ohm cabs.

The Fender Bassman 500 or 800 has many more features, including pre-amp tubes(!) and speakon connections, in a classic Fender Bassman head that only weighs 17 lb.s. They're a bit bulkier than other Class D heads, but the look and features are worth it.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  9. The Bassman 500/800 are 4 Ohm minimum, I believe.
    The post you quoted spec’d 2.67 Ohms so Fender wasn’t on his list.
    But otherwise, I don’t see why they shouldn’t be.

10. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Hmm, if 2.67-ohm capability is, indeed, a requirement then the Fender Rumble Stage 800 fits the bill, except that it only comes as a combo, with no head version even planned, we're told. :crying:

That's right, a 2x10 combo with 8-ohm internal load (at 400 watts) can take either an 8-ohm or 4-ohm external cab load (at 800 watts)! Just be sure to flip the impedance switch correctly for the external load. :thumbsup:

11. Jaco only needed 4. :laugh: