1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

500w head to 400w cab????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Galaxygolden, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Galaxygolden

Galaxygolden

Oct 18, 2009
    Myspace, AIM
    Hey I am about to buy a Little Mark II head with 500 powerful watts. I am also buying a cab, but I am undecided, If you guys could help me out that'd be cool. One more thing! will a 400w cab be in danger and start crackling and could it potentially break if its ran through a 500w head that isn't turned up alll the way?

THANKS YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!:D
    :bassist:

2. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    IME a slight wattage excess isn't too dangerous if you're careful and use common sense.

Oh, and for cab recommendations, I use an Aguilar GS112 or a 4 ohm GS212 and each works great with the LMII. But that's just the tip of the iceberg of what's available out there.

Make sure you understand how the ohm thing works, BTW. An 8 ohm cab will only draw 300 watts from the LMII. Two 8 ohm cabs plugged in at the same time - or ONE four ohm cab - will draw the full 500 watts. Each approach has its advantages & drawbacks.

HTH

3. CRubio

CRubio

Oct 21, 2009
    As long as you're careful with levels, a good 400w rated cab will be able to handle a 500w amp. Just remember that you won't be able to run the amp wide open.

Most cabs from reputable manufacturers are rated at their program handling, so you're probably safe running a little more into them. Check your manual or contact the manufacturer to make sure.

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Galaxygolden.

Some reading: Amps FAQ *** Now with info on OHMS, PORTABLE RIGS, & Over/Underpowering Cabs & DIY!: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166225

Also, please download and study the owners manuals for any and all gear that you use.

Be a friend to your tools, and your tools will be a friend to you...

5. Powman

Powman

Apr 28, 2009
    The LMII Head is likely 500 W at 4 Ohms but 300 W at 8 Ohms. That's why the Markbass combos come with 400W speakers for the most part.

So if the 400W cab is rated at 8 Ohms, then you will actually have a 300 W head, not 500.