Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

500W power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Easy Rider, May 30, 2004.

1. Hi,

My current amp setup is a Trace Elliot AH500-12 head pushing 500W@4Ohms mono.
    However, this head has stereo capability, and I'm thinking about (finally) using that so I'll have a 1000W stereo amp.
    All I need is an extra power amp, but I can't seem to find a power amp that puts out 500W@4Ohms mono. The bottom level QSCs and Crowns and the like deliver way more than that.
    Now you're probably thinking: "What's he complaining about? There's no such thing as too much powerrrrr!"
    Well, true as that may be, I figured the less power a power amp puts out, the cheaper it's going to be. And because I don't need more than a 1000W total, a 500W power amp would suit me just fine and would allow me to still buy food.
    Are there any manufacturers out there that make something like I'm looking for?

Thanks ahead!

EZ

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd just go with a QSC PLX 1202. A little extra headroom can't hurt.

3. The QSC RMX 850 is 830w bridged mono at 4 ohms.

I know that's more than you're looking for but at $300 brand new you can't go wrong.

Only thing is, 35lbs but that wouldn't bother me.

4. I think Carvin makes a 600w poweramp. DCM600 or something.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You want cheap?

Phonic 860. It's 300w per side brigable to 600W at 8 ohms.

Cheap as chips and doesn't sound too bad. You'll miss out on some features but it'll work.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bad, but not too bad. I think that's what he's going for.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    But his other amp is a Trace - how fussy can he be (Kidding).

What I meant it's not in the league of QSC or Stewart, but it's doesn't suck either.

8. Hey, what are you trying to say, man? :mad: ;) :D

No, but seriously, a "not great, but doesn't suck" power amp is indeed fine for now.
    I'm gonna have a look at those amps you talked about. Especially the Carvin and Phonic.

Thanks!

9. Well, it seems the Carvin has been discontinued, and the Phonic doesn't seem to like 4 Ohms bridged...

So I searched some more and found a Crown I missed before.(Which was frankly quite easy to miss, the Crown website seems like it only caters for people who know exactly what they're looking for... :meh: )
    I'm talking about the Crown XLS 202, it puts out exactly 500W @ 4Ohms bridged, and is just 9.5kgs (21lbs).
    Over here it sets me back 300 Euros, so it is still a notch over budget, but then it does seem like an excellent price/quality deal and I'd rather have a Crown than some XYZ housebrand two-ton monster.
    So, is it any good?

EZ

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's correct. It's 600w bridged at 8 ohms. Just so you know, if an amp is going to bridge to 4 ohms, it usually needs to be able to handle 2 ohms per side. Most cheap amps can't do that.

I think you'll find the Crown will work quite well. Out of curiosity, what speaker is this power amp going to be driving?

11. Right now it would just drive one of my 300W 8 Ohm Trace cabs. Either my 4x10"w/horn or my 18". I'll have to listen which sounds best.
    It'll be a total slave amp, by the way.
    So, in this setup the headroom goes from 500W max to roughly 800W max, as each amp will then push about 400W through 8 Ohms. But in the future they'll both get some other (4 Ohm) cabs as I'm bound to get tired of hauling these small fridges around!

As I'm writing this I'm wondering if I could get a crossover in there somewhere and thus create a bi-amp rig, I sure have the speaker setup for it!
    But that's done before the powerstages, so for that I'll have to investigate internally and crack open that head! :)

EZ

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) Too many choices.

For simplicity I wouldn't bother with Bi-amping. The 18 would be good for it but I believe you'll hear yourself better using the 4x10 full range. Then if it turns out you need it, start complicating the rig, but only if you need it.

13. Yeah, it wouldn't be the simplest way to go. But still, I always like modifying the devices that are under my care. I find the attention pleases the Machine Spirits. :)

Ah, but how does one define 'need it'? If it is defined by the sound quality of the rig, then I agree.
    But how about the burning, raging desire, from the deepest crests of the soul, to tinker? To upgrade? To improve?
    I can hold it back for now... but one day... :)

EZ

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's an old saying that says "If it's not broken, don't fix it." It's good advice because 99% of the time, you go backwards.

By all means, experiment, but make it reversible in case it doesn't work out.

15. But ofcourse! That's standard procedure, is it not?

Right now I got too many other projects running so I don't have the time anyway. :(

EZ

16. antonnov

antonnov

Nov 3, 2003
    Heej Easy :)

looks like you're going to play some mighty outdoor gigs :bassist: :D

I like your idea of using a poweramp in combination with another amp. I haven't buyed one yet but maybe I will go for a multifunctional channelstrip, like they use in studio's. In that way I have an EQ, compressor and stuff like that all in one, and put the PA-amp after that.

What kind of cabs are you looking for to use instead of your 4x10? 2x10 x 2?
    or your homebuilt 2x10 ? :)

Good luck with the decisions

Antonno

(ps ik zal weer eens een keer een mailtje sturen)

17. Hey, Antonno!

Nah, no outdoor gigs scheduled. Besides, I would want a LOT more power for those! :D

The channelstrip before the poweramp sounds like a very workable solution! I'd definitely look into that.

Well, in the future I'd like to go more compact on the cabs. Not necessarily lighter, just smaller.
    But only if I can find some that sound just as good or better and are just as tough as my current Trace setup. (I love it!)
    Some things produced today sure bring up the GAS, like for instance the Phil Jones 9B (too bad it's 8Ohms), or the Low Down Sound 3x8"w/horn (VERY interesting! And 5.3Ohms) but that will all have to wait. And wait, and wait...
    Right now I just want to get that little bit more headroom, and it's very easily and cheaply done with my head having stereo capability. I'll also be able to use stereo rack effects in the future.
    Basically I wanted the full stereo/tri-amp AH1000-12 head to begin with, but this way I'll build it up piece by piece! :) More fun and probably cheaper.

EZ

Leuk om weer van je te horen, ik kijk uit naar je mail!

18. antonnov

antonnov

Nov 3, 2003
    eej Easy,

I lost your email, does your io-mail still work? if that's the case I'll send it to ioxxxxxx enz...

Grtz

Antonno