50's and 60's covers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MCBTunes, May 14, 2005.

1. Ok, well my friends and I are going to turn some 50's/60's songs into punk covers. But really, I dont know what I should be playing here. Fast blues type lines? Pentatonic scales? I just dont wanna play root notes through their melody.

Stuff like:
    beach boys
    Chuck Berry

Add a song suggestion if you like.
  2. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Just a thought... You'll ruin some of those songs if you turn them into punk music. If you must, learn the actual bass line and adapt it to fit your style. Don't just improv it, the bass is really catchy in some of those older tunes..
  3. RiddimKing

Dec 29, 2004
    If you're doing songs at punkrock tempos, you're not going to have much space for complex lines. Try using root or root/five as the basis of your playing (and concentrate more on nailing an aggressive and accurate punk tone), then add the occasional walk up or fill, especially at the changes. Another nice effect is to sometimes play the octave on the downbeat for emphasis.
  4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Not really instructional, let's move this thread to Misc........

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  5. haha dont worry, i'm not planning on ruining the music.just because its punk doesnt mean its crap. But i know it'll be fun, I just learnt a beach boys song
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A suggestion, instead of punking obvious rockers, pick somewhat known "mellow" or b-side songs to liven up. Some rock songs are great the first time around, just make the cover songs your "own".
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Please see my signature.
  8. Listen to some Me First and The Gimme Gimmes for a good example. The album "Blow in the Wind" is the best for 50's & 60's punk covers.
  9. Butch J

Butch J

May 9, 2005
    try some of the older punk stuff too. Electric Prunes..Get me to the World on time or I had too much to dream last night.
  10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mr Skin by Spirit would rock. So would Hey Grandma by Moby Grape.

Everywhere and Get High by The Sons of Champlin would punk up nicely, as would some of the old Ventures stuff.

We used to do a semi-metal version of She's So Cold by the Stones, that was a fun song.

Sounds like you could have lots of fun with that.
  11. That rocks! Great tune!!
  12. Happy Together by the Turtles
    Daydream Believer - The Monkees
    Bossanova - Elvis

Just a thought.....