1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

50's Kay M1B $1750

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Nathan Parker, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've decided to sell this old girl.

I've referred to this bass as the Falcon. She's not much to look at, but she's got it where it counts. There's not much subtlety or refinement to the tone, but it is even, consistent and projects like nobody's business. It has been my main use bass for about 6 months, and I've never had any issues with it, save my own. The fingerboard looks to be original, and is still plenty thick. Could probably stand to be planed if you're going to lower the string height, but as it is setup now, it plays fine. The bridge and soundpost are about 6 months old, and the bridge has adjusters. Right now the adjusters are all the way down and the strings are pretty high, so there is plenty of room to take the bridge down to your liking. Right now it has Carlos Henriquez Chorda's on the E and A, Gamut Lyon medium D and a Dlugolecki G, quite the combination. If you have any questions please PM. Happy to discuss shipping if you need this bass to come to you.

Price reduced, and willing to pay $200 of shipping cost.

null_zps42fe97c1.

null_zpsce163962.

2. DILYSI Dave

DILYSI Dave

Jan 26, 2013
    A blonde Kay. Yummy. Can you take some more pics? Serial number? Got any recordings of it?

3. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The serial number is 32879. What pictures are you interested in? I'm happy to take more. Working on soundclips.

4. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    So here's all the ugly:

null_zpsad111f85.

null_zps5243749d.

null_zpsa02edb5b.

null_zpsc0d592a8.

null_zps538bbf35.

It has a fair amount of wear, especially around the edges. I'd say it's all fairly typical for a workin' girl. The previous owner disclosed that the neck was off refitted at one point, done by Hammond Ashley Violins in Seattle. Never broken though, just appears to be reglued. One of the bouts near the F hole is a little ratty. I like to think a mouse was chewing on it, but who knows.

5. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    Really Nate, pictures with all the ugly and you're not in them? That hardly seems accurate.

On a serious note, I have heard this bass plenty of times. IMO it is a good deal for someone out there. And Nate is a straight up good guy to deal with.

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That's in very nice shape for a '53 Kay - and the neck wood is much better than usual! ;)

7. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
  8. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
  9. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'll work on it. Technology hard for me.

10. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    I hear you ZOG; try sticking the tip of your tongue into your cheek while you do it - it helps a lot! ;)

11. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Nice clip. The bass sounds good, your playing is excellent, and you clearly play with the right other musicians.

12. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
  13. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Bump with price reduction.

14. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    She's staying in Seattle. Sold to Philonius.

Thanks Nate! Great guy to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.