1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD '50's P Bass (custom build)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rollin$tone, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollin$tone

rollin$tone Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Hi! This bass started with a '50's Paisley P Bass. I loved the neck, but I'm not really a paisley kind of guy. So, I purchased a Warmoth '54 body (with contours... much more comfortable than the slab), in Aged Natural finish. Bought a nice string-thru bridge, an Antiquity Tele p/u ( if I remember right), a vintage style wiring kit, knobs, etc. Strung it with flats. The tuners are reverse, ( as that's what came on it). Neck is really chunky. Very smooth in like new condition, with the exception of a headstock ding (shown in photos), from the previous owner. Comes with a H/S case, in good condition. I don't want to think of how much I've invested in this, but after shoulder surgery, I'm selling off my long scale basses. I'm going to try to sell this one @ $675/ shipped to CONUS. Here's the photo link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/83573586@N05/

2. rollin$tone

Jul 9, 2009
    I had to edit the photo URL about 5 times, so email me for pics if you don't see them.

3. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Bump for a Sweet piece of Ash :bassist:

7733638232_34ad8af0b3_k.

4. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    thats fat a hell

5. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Nice .... What's the weight ?

6. rollin$tone

Jul 9, 2009
    It shows 10 lbs. on a digital bathroom scales, but it rounds up, so really not sure. That's probably close though!

7. rollin$tone

Jul 9, 2009
    No Tele lovers on a budget out there? Has single ply black pickguard also!

8. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these any day now and I def like this bass, but if you could, excuse my ignorance, I've never gotten ahold of a 51 and I'm not a big guitar store guy, can you tell me more about the neck, and give me some idea on the pick up.

Of all things, the nicest neck I've felt in the past few years was the Modern Player Tele, just was hoping to find a slightly better quality instrument, like yours that has some love in it...

thanks in advance.

9. rollin$tone

Jul 9, 2009
    Yes, the neck was from a Fender '51 Reissue P bass, in the pink Paisley finish. The bass had a slab body, which has no contours for your stomach and forearm. For me, it was quite uncomfortable, and after playing it for a nite, I had indentations on my arm and stomach. I've had a '72 Fender Tele bass, and loved it. This bass had a similar neck, sort of chunky feel, jumbo frets, and with the big flatwound strings, it has a great feel. I've had this bass for about 7 years, and I've done other projects, but as I recall, I bought a Duncan Antiquity II Tele pickup and installed it. Guitar is in like-new, unplayed condition, but the pickup has a nice tone that goes from good treble to thick bottom. It actually sounds better than the bass that the neck came off of.

10. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    does it have the rounded neck shape (I'm sorry, I've kept the same few workhorses my whole life). I've played a 64 P my whole life that really needs to retire.

For some reason these types are just speaking to me right now.

11. rollin$tone

Jul 9, 2009
    There's nothing wrong with vintage wood... my fav. ! I'm not sure of the correct lettering (C or D shape), but it's actually thin, but wide. Very comfortable!

12. JPMacJones

JPMacJones

Aug 9, 2011
    AGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I desperately want this!!!! I gotta get rid of my Rockbass and few other things first.

13. rollin$tone

Jul 9, 2009
    TTT

14. rollin$tone

Jul 9, 2009
    Take another look! Lot of bass for the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. rollin$tone

Jul 9, 2009
    SOLD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.