1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

50s P Bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dvh, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Hi gang,

I'm the proud new owner of a 50s P bass in honey blond. It came strung with flatwounds - which I wanted.

Have had it out for a few jams, no gigs yet. First impressions are I'm finding the pup a little lacking.

The output is much lower than my 51 P resissue with the single coil. I've never owned a split coil P so have no experience there.

Anyone else who has gone through this? What kind of replacements have folks done? Give me your stories.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you take out put out of the equation by adjusting for it at the amp, how do the basses compare tonally ?

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Before buying anything play around with the height of the pickup...that'll change the sound for free.

4. Good call! Tried it. It has made a difference.

Still curious to hear about what others have done.

5. They are very different. First off the 51 has rounds and the 50s flats.

The 51 single coil has a good bite to it. I've never played a split coil with rounds but from what I've heard the split coil is a little less "barky".

Hence, the 51 has a much snarlier tone - great for rock and funk.

The 50s P Bass is my jazz and blues machine.

6. I like the pickup in my 50's. I had to adjust it after I set up the bass, but that's what the screws are there for! ;)

7. Seems to have done the trick.