50's P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHaven, Mar 6, 2006.

1. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    So I've been looking into a P bass just because its about time I had a nice workhorse bass. I think a P would sit better with my band and be easy to record (my active bass is way too hot to get a decent signal from). I've been looking into P basses in the 500-900 dollar range and the 50s P bass caught my fancy. NOTE: I'm not talking about the old old precision design with the single coil and tele headstock. This 50's P bass has the anodized aluminium pick guard regular split coil etc etc.

Anyone have any experiences with these? Or could recommend a good P bass in my price range?
  2. I asked this identical question a few months back and the responses were all positive. If all goes well, I'll be buying one (or ordering one) tomorrow!
  3. 91hondast1100

Jul 19, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

Attached Files:

4. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005

I was looking at that too. If I can get it under 700 bucks, I'd go with that. Higher quality build, has the ash trays that i want and all.
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I owned a Fender Classic '50s P-Bass for a while, and I really liked it. (I only sold it 'cause I have a Lakland Skyline Glaub P-Bass on the way). I thought it was the best new P-Bass for the money that I could find. The Classic '50s delivers "classic" P-Bass tone and feel.

...If your budget extends to $900, I would highly recommend the Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub P-Bass. IMO, the Skyline Glaub beats the U.S. Fenders, and the Fralin pickup sounds great!
  6. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Yes!! A huge +1!!

I just got my Glaub, and I love everything about this bass. Can't beat the Fralin Pickups, Hipshot Ultralite tuners, high quality bridge, and one heck of a smoothly-finished neck.

The only improvements I can think of would be a Hum-cancelling J pup in the bridge position and a higher value capacitor; Two things that will be remedied in the near future. :D
  7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    +1 on the Japanese Fender - I have one on order. Everything I've seen and heard about these instruments is that they meet or exceed the build quality of the MIA Fenders for much less money. If you definitely want a Fender, strongly consider it.

That said, the Lakland BG bass is very well regarded also. I love the sound of Fralin pups. My MIM Fender J and Hwy 1 Telecaster both have Fralins and I couldn't be happier with the tone. However, unless you can find one used, you'll be out of your price range for a Lakland.
  8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've played a the classic 50's P-bass.
    Nice bass for the money.
    Plays and sounds good.
    But not a nice a Lakland Skyline Glaub.
    If you can afford the Glaub, get it?