1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

50's style precison bass decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rutty24, Sep 13, 2008.

1. rutty24

rutty24

May 20, 2007
    biggleswade
    i'd quite like an old school looking precison bass. you know the ones without the split pick up shizzle.

i just wondered which one you guys at talkbass would buy. taking ALL considerations into respect.

of the options from fender/squier (prices new quoted from gak) there is,

1. sting precision bass £595
    2. '51 precison bass £469
    3. classic vibe 50s precion bass £249
    4. vintage modified precison/telebass £219

are there any other brands that do basses VERY similiar to these basses or are these the options i have

cheers.

2. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Search ebay bass for :jay turser" there is one on there now, they have good reviews here

3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Not a knock on the bass, but IMO your #4 doesn't hang with the rest of the list in terms of '50s-ness.

4. I tried the CV 50s bass and the fender '51 ri bass, and tbh I liked the Squier CV better. but YMMV.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    There's the "DIY Custom" brand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not really a fan of the Turser version since the proprotions and positioning of the components makes it look not quite right.

6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have a Fender '51 Precision RI and it's now my one and only fretted bass.

The vintage modified telebass is from the '70s, and has no relationship (other than the slab body and peghead shape) with the '51.

7. I have the Sting (54 reissue) bass and I am quite happy with it. I was thinking about getting a 51 reissue to go with it. The 51 is about $150 USD less expensive than the Sting version. They sound really cool witrh a set of TIs on them, by the way.

8. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    IMO the two fenders are better guitars than the squiers. I have been looking at buying one of them lately and Im actually borrowing my friends 51' RI right now to help me decide. They both sound very similar, the advantage of the sting for me is the contoured body because i like to play pickstyle at the bridge sometimes and the contoured body makes it more comfortable, but on the other hand I hate the block inlay with the sig at the 12th fret. I still havent decided yet but those are the conclusions that I have come to if that helps any...

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I hate the Stinglay

10. Anonymous Guy

Anonymous Guy

Jul 28, 2008
    The Squier CV '50s P-Bass is a pretty good representation on the cheap.

http://www.theperfectbass.com/explo...103003101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001081&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y

It's a pretty good bass after a setup. The SC pickup doesn't hum very loud, and the bass is very vibrant due to the HiMass bridge. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't come with a tinted neck, but it is glossy. For some reason, the CV '60s P-Bass and J-Bass both have tinted necks, but not this one...

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I own the Sting and it is my only Bass.

I love it over any Bass I have ever owned and I have owned everything from original Tobiases to Rickenbackers.

The quality of these is first rate. The 51 is virtualy identicle except for the color.

Love em.

Here is mine.

SWRBassRig_1378.

12. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    i wonder how much it would cost to have a luthier remove it and put something else in there?

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    It aint that bad. I dont care for Sting at all but I never think of it.

14. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    yeah I know, but ive always kinda been funny about stuff like that. If I got the bass I probally wouldnt even notice it, but while Im looking to buy its just one of those things that bugs me...

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    4 cm of electrical tape = solved. :)

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The biggest secret of the bass world is the Geddy Lee. Those "inlays" are really just portraits of Geddy covered in electric tape.:meh:

17. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    There's a person I belive on this forum who had a luthier remove the stinglay and replace it with a black block. Looked better. No idea who it was or how much $$$...

18. rutty24

rutty24

May 20, 2007
    biggleswade
    can you not get the '51 bass in sunburst?

19. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Yep. That's going to be my next purchase.

[​IMG]

20. I have the 51 re-issue in burst. Love it! It does not have the contour on the body like the Sting, and it is uncomfortable after playing for a few hours (talking about sitting down and practicing), but other than that it is great. Limited tones, but I get around that with my NE semi p equalizer which I use from time to time.
    my ideal would be the sting body with the 51 neck.

A