1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

50w 1968 Fender Bassman head into newer Ampeg 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjohnnick, Sep 28, 2009.

1. cjohnnick

cjohnnick

Aug 3, 2009
    = epic failure?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not a total failure, but it's not going to knock any walls down either.

3. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    bit of a cab overkill lol. irc the 8X10 can handle 800 watts

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think it's worth a shot. I've used mine with a B-15 head before.

5. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I would say try a smaller cab like a 2X10 or something along those lines.

6. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I had a '68 Bassman head I used numerous times through an 8x10, it was not very loud, but it sounded really good. I've got a '69 now, I haven't really used that one yet (too many amps, and between bands right now).
    If your OT is good for 4ohms (I'm assuming your cab is 4ohms) you'll be fine, if you amp is healthy and properly biased you should be able to use it pretty hard, those Bassmans have a reputation for being pretty tough.

7. cjohnnick

cjohnnick

Aug 3, 2009
    excellent! Thanks for the info guys. The 8x10 is 4ohms, and the Bassman is properly biased and in great condition, as I just got it back from being serviced. I have been playing the bassman through the cab, and it sounds great, just didn't know if I were to try and play this way with a drummer if it would damage either when I cranked it more. I have an svt6pro that I usually use with the 8x10. I have the matching 2x12 cab for the bassman, I think I am going to try and find a good 2x15 cab from the same period (fender, Sunn, ampeg or ??) from say 1967-1975. Providing they aren't too much! This way I can have a large rig and a small rig.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's not the point. What is pertinent is that more drivers gives higher sensitivity, and since the Bassman is more anemic than Kate Moss it needs all the help it can get in that regard. If you really like the sound of the Bassman and want to get stage useful levels out of it an 810 is one way to do so. OTOH horn loaded cabs will work better, and be a lot smaller.