Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'51 fender MIJ p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nataku, Aug 21, 2005.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i went to GC yesterday, and i discovered an old p bass with the straight pickup in the used section. the tag said it was a '51 fender MIJ p bass, but i dont trust it. everything about it looked brand new, there were no marks anywhere on it, except the black pickguard. the bridge was really tiny, it was string through, and the pickup looked too small for the hole it was in, maybe it was modded? the body was a yellow, but you could see the wood grain through the finish. everything about it felt and played well, and it sounded great with the tone knob all the way up. as i rolled off the tone knob, the sound seemed to fall apart though.

the price was $450, and i forgot to get the serial #. can anyone verify if this is real? i didnt know there were any fender basses that old, let alone any MIJ fender basses that old. :confused:

2. silent parts

silent parts

Apr 17, 2005
    I think it's a modern reissue of the '51 model.

3. It would be a re-issue. Fender makes replicas of their old basses, it is not actually from 51, its just modelled after the 51 p bass. Play it, MIJ Fenders are usually a decent deal in terms of quality for how much they cost.

4. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    it didnt say reissue on it...

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    ya, i loved the feel and sound of it with the tone up, but when i rolled off the tone knob it kinda fell apart. if it wasnt such a one trick pony i mightve grabbed it.