Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'51 Fender percision pick up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lawndart, Oct 6, 2004.

1. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Im curious on how the '51 p/u sounds compared to a regulr p/u you'd find standard on a MIA Percision or what i have in mine now, a SD Basslines 1/4 Pounder. is it more low-fi or growlier? never played one cause the stores near me dont seem to want to carry them. just Mark Hoppusi and the run of the mil MIM and MIAs.

thanks
    sean

2. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I have a basslines 51' style in my Fender sting and it rocks! Very round tone...good with flatwounds!

But really, I would not put it in anything 51' type p-bass.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I may be getting this pup crossed up with the Tele pup cause it's been a while so keep that in mind regarding the following.

There was one on ebay a while back and it seems there's a reveiw on one on harmony central. I was going to bid on the ebay one but got my times crossed up but I'm not really disappointed. From what I've gathered it probably would have been too dark for my taste plus the 4 pole thing and volume drops on string bends. Also, though not an issue for me, the shape would require specfic routing. I'm guessing there's not much demand for the pup so it wouldn't be unusual for a store not to carry it. In fact I think the ebay pup was new old stock from a music store. And you're not getting much response here so that's consistent. So I may have had trouble selling it if I didn't like it but I think it only went for like $20.

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Do you have the Vintage, Hot or QP? Just curious :)