Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Hey People!

I was considering stripping the body of my new yellow '51 down to the wood. However when I removed the scratchplate for a nosey about I noticed the hole in the body, just above the control plate.

I raise this point because the I had seen this done to another bass (albeit an original) and the hole wasn't there. It isn't life or death, I was just wondering if this is an alteration Fender have made on the current MIJ reissues.

In case anyone's interested, the guy out of the Sensational Alex Harvey Band used to play the
    stripped down P. Check it out on the Old Grey Whistle Test dvd.
  2. That is really strange because my 2 year old CIJ 52 reissue does not have the hole, but my 98 Am Delux Jazz does! I was bummed because I wanted to remove the pick guard off the Jazz, but cannot due to the ugly hole!

I think it probably had to do with how the basses get painted and stuff.
  3. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I posted a similiar question about in the Luthier forum last week and the consensus seems to be CNC reference hole. If you were to take off the neck you may find another in the pocket. Of course, it makes no sense why that can build some basses without them when they want.
  4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    These kind of reference holes have existed in Fenders for a very long time - though not as big as the nickel-sized one I have seen pictured.

It was quite common to find a 1/16" hole or two beneath the pick gaurds/chrome plates of Fenders dating back to the 50's - they were template locating holes back then.