51 P Bass Copies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeoKinetic, Sep 5, 2017.

1. I've always loved 51 P basses, especially in butterscotch, so I was wondering what (hopefully not crazy expensive) copies exist. The Japanese reissue would be the best, but is incredibly difficult to find, I've never seen one on sale, which only gets twice as hard in Australia. These are the ones I've found so far:

- Harley Benton PB-50 (would maybe refinish it)
    - Squier Classic Vibe 50s P (not in butterscotch anymore though :( )
    - Schecter Model T series
    - Fender Japan Reissue
    - Lakland Skyline 44-51M

Post any others below (especially in butterscotch... did I mention that already? :p ), or your opinions on any of the listed ones. Thanks!

Sorry if there have been other similar threads, haven't been able to find any

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Nash

George Himmel likes this.
  3. @GeoKinetic

Bought my Harley Benton PB-50 a few year back and still play it every day. In that time I've heard from plenty of folks thinking of buying one. Of those that did buy very few mod further than the headstock shape. Extremely good bass.

I did want a Squier afterwards but that was just for the "tonewood" qualities of Pine :laugh:

4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I tried a MIJ and didn't care for it. There was a certain "beefiness" that was lacking throughout, except for the body finish which was ridiculously thick IMHO.
    I would look to a modern builder who really "gets" what these basses are all about, or maybe try a build myself with an Allparts neck & body.

5. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    IMG_6382.JPG IMG_6510.JPG
    This was inspired by those classic 50s Butterscotch P-Basses. Body is a (very) custom build. It all started with a maple neck ;)

Carey, Clipped, Wisebass and 5 others like this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Suggest go with nice QC and nice solo sound Squier CV50p. The neck is slimmer than Fender Roadworn p's neck, comfort in hand.

I sold mine yesterday, the reason is simple,after few months I play with it, I still prefer split coil pbass get mix better than it.

ExaltBass likes this.
  7. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Given the degree of Fenderphilia on this forum, I would not be at all surprised if someone has 51 P bass copies.

TDR1138 and ExaltBass like this.
  8. The late 60s Telecaster basses (with the SCPB pickup) were essentially reissues of the '51. I had one of those and an MIJ reissue. Loved 'em both. They felt slightly different in terms of how they played but both had "the sound". Wish I had them BOTH back. :-(

I play this one now, a reworked CS.

Bass after refin 004.jpg

TDR1138 and ExaltBass like this.
  9. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    How appropriate is your avatar; bass probably weighs as much as a tank.

10. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

IMG_0224.JPG CS Dusty Hill (gold top Ltd)
    Sorry, but it's stupid expensive. But I love it anyway.

11. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I want one too. I see the CIJ model all the time on ebay.

12. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I think @2saddleslab makes them. I can't remember if he takes orders or just photographs the ones he makes (they're gorgeous).

13. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    poopie, that's a beautiful bass. What sort of pickups?

14. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the kind words. I've built a couple custom slabs that have found prominence in the rotation. Customized a few others. I don't see any new ones in the near future, although watching all the projects @Dark Horse is working on makes it difficult not to think up some interesting ideas.

twinjet and Dark Horse like this.
  15. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Thanks! Nordstrand BigRig with a Sadowsky 3 knob preamp. Awesome sounding combo!

Carey and twinjet like this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021