1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'51 P bass: Fralin Split-Coil vs. Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder - Which one?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DrSpunkwater, Mar 26, 2013.

1. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    I'm in the process of finishing a '54-style P-bass, and I'm trying to decide what pickup to use. I've been considering either the Fralin split-coil or the SD SCPB-3. I'm leaning toward the SD SCPB-3 because I heard it's a real beast, and that's the kind of tone I go for.

I'm looking for something that sounds sort of like this:

Any help or recommendations regarding '51 pups is appreciated.

2. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    I know the Dusty Hill CS uses a Seymour Duncan and it sounds pretty deep and growly, but not sure if it's identical to this one.

3. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    Yeah, I heard the same thing about SDs.

I was going to get the Fralin split-coil, but I've heard it sounds more or less identical to a standard split-coil and that's not really what I'm looking for. Of course, if that's BS and it sounds like the single-coil P, I'd be interested.

Sound clips would help with all this.

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Every clip I've heard of the Fralin, it sounds more like the split-coil than the single coil.

5. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    If that's the case, I think I'll go with the Quarter Pound.

6. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    i've have or had the antiquity,scpb-2 ,scpb-3,m.i.j. scpb and the fralin split.If you're goin' to rock out or crank barroom blues get the 1/4 pounder.I like the scpb-2 kinda in the middle not super hot not vintage.Ihave it paired with a chisonic in the bridge pos,dime the chi and blend in some goodness with the scpb-2The best thing about the fralin was no noise.Mine was standard wind.I just bought a used rio grane "vintage" scpb can't wait to try it out.If you use a dummy coil with the singles they'd be perfect.

7. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    I have the Fralin and the QP. The QP is way over the top IMHO. Anything with the tone pot > 50% isn't pretty. Of course you can dial it down or change the tone pot but overall I think that the QP is really a special case pickup. IIRC it also hums more. The fralin sounds very good, but I can't compare it to the Ant.

8. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    Interesting. Do you think a .1 capacitor would make a difference?

9. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Not with a 250 or 500 Kohm pot full open.

10. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    Well, yeah. That's what the tone knob is there for - to give you that extra "oomph" when you need it.

11. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    I think the Fralin pickup sounds AWESOME.

It retains the single coil character very nicely but had the fatness you'd expect from a humbucker. It was like the perfect sound, in my opinion. Growly, tight, fat, powerful, a lot of character...

Aren't the quarter pounders slightly mid scooped? I know people say the quarter pounder pups are deep and growly, but I personally don't see how a mid scooped pickup can sound as fat or full as the Fralin. But I also haven't heard a demo of the quarter pounder.

12. The closest match to that 68 paisley sound is the SD Antiquity. I know this because I have owned a 68 paisley and also the SD pup. To my ears they sounded the same.

13. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    No, the QP with the tone pot open is just brutal in treble.

I think I can post a spectrum plot tomorrow if somebody reminds me.

14. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    Cool beans. I'd love to see that.

If anyone has sound clips of what's in their '51/'54 basses, I'd love to hear those too.

15. I put an SPCB-3 Quarter Pounder in the 51P Re-issue and it sounded really good. Big, bold nice tone. The only issue with this pickup is the phenolic is slightly large for the pickup cavity but it was easily remedied by shaving a small amount of the phenolic on the "V" portion using a fine flat file. Did not create any problems with the pickup and it was killer sounding.

16. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    Nice. I got the QP and an Antiquity II. I'm going to try both and see which I like the sound of better.

At this point, if I like the Antiquity II better in the neck position, I'll consider putting the QP in the bridge eventually.