1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'51 P-bass: Pairing an SD Antiquity II with a Quarter Pounder

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DrSpunkwater, Mar 29, 2013.

1. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    I bought a couple of '51 P-bass pickups today: a Seymour Duncan Antiquity II and a Quarter Pounder. Mostly it was to see which one sounded better, but I had the idea of putting the Antiquity II in the neck position and, at some other point, putting the Quarter Pounder in the bridge position. Stack knob jazz controls would be needed for this. At this point it's just an idea since I need to see if the QP pole pieces line up properly, but I think it'd work since they're so huge.

Has anyone done something like this with their '51 pup bass?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not familiar with the Antiquity but those QP's are pretty loud by comparison to any vintage style pickup I've used. I would think your bridge pickup would be a good deal louder than your neck, which may irritate you.

3. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    That's a good point. I'm not really sure. I've heard the Antiquity II packs more punch than the standard antiquity, but I'm not sure how it would fair with the QP.

It would be an interesting experiment, if nothing else.