1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'51 P-Bass pickup upgrades?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WLZ, Jul 28, 2007.

1. WLZ

WLZ

Jul 27, 2007
    I have a damn near brand new re-issue '51 P-bass with the vintage style single coil. Unfortunately I play with a pick and have a hard time avoiding hitting the pickup, especially when playing live. I just recently burned through a pickup, and luckilly got a free bass out of the guitar center. I think it woud be a smart investment to swap a solid (not exposed) single coil in it so I won't have to worry about trashing another one. My local shop can throw a Seymour Duncan on for me, any pro's or con's to this...I love my tone with the vintage repro it came with but I sure wouldn't mind going a little hotter with it. What's the word?

2. jsamans

jsamans

Mar 11, 2007
    Fall City, WA
    Those pickups seem to be highly rated, although I think I might explore the SD Antiquities. I think they make two versions, one a 50's reissue, and one a 60's telecaster bass single coil. I think they are all exposed though.

Easier and cheaper for you would be to have a pickup cover installed to protect the pickup.

[​IMG]

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    You could use a stock pickup, and have it wrapped in some kind of protective tape or something, to prevent you from hitting the wire with the pick. Cheap fix, and you'll still have the same tone you like.

I'm sure a luthier wouldn't charge you more than a few bucks to do a job like that. I"ve seen factory pickups with cloth tape, nylon , and even string around the coils to protect them. This should be a very easy and cheap mod to protect your pickup.

If your local shop didn't suggest this to you or the cover in the above post, and went right after a pickup sale plus instalation, I'd start looking for a new shop.

4. I know it's a different design but do a Dimebag.

L-500XL.

check out the neck pickup. Put some tape on it

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have a '51 P RI that I installed a Seymour Duncan single coil Quarter Pound and I am very happy with it: very tuneful and punchy.

I play with my fingers and hang my hand down, resting my forearm on the upper bout, so I never snag the pickup, but a lot of people have complained about doing just that.

In any case, the SD is an excellent pickup for the '51.

6. I swapped the original for the Seymour Duncan SCPB1. Great sounding pickup.

You could always ask a tech to coat the p/u in epoxy which would help your problem...

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The Rio Grande, Muy Grande has more oomph then the stock but closer to the original sound of the stock pickup then the SD 1/4 lbs. to me. Blueberry Hill has a Nordstrand for around the same price that's a drop in.