1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

51 p buckers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hockey_head, Mar 2, 2008.

1. hockey_head

hockey_head

Feb 25, 2008
    anyone know who makes a stacked humbucker replacement for the 51 p-bass style single?

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Seymour Duncan...

3. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    How does the Duncan HB sound? I've got a Duncan SCPB2 in my Sting and basically like the tone, but am bugged by the buzz. I know that I should shield the Sting, it's on my list of things to do, along with eating healthier. Does the HB retain some/much of the flavor of the SC pickups? Are there any other choices besides the Duncan for a HB '51 replacement? And does the Duncan HB require routing extra depth?

On a related note, I recently got a Lull J with Dimarzio J's (humbucking) and it is dead quiet. I assumed there would be a comprehensive shielding job, but surprise, the control cavity has none whatsoever.

4. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
  5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The Fralin is split, not stacked.

6. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Sorry...I thought that '51 had single coils only.

7. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Not sure if we're on the same page here, but I just went to Fralin's site and they offer both a single-coil and a humbucker in the same Tele single-coil size form factor. Whether the coils are stacked or side by side, it's still a humbucker.

8. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    The single coil is the one I was talking about.

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That's true, I mentioned that because the OP said "stacked"...thought he might have coil tapping in mind.

10. hockey_head

hockey_head

Feb 25, 2008
    thanks for the inf peeps
    ok now who sells such an animal?

11. hockey_head

hockey_head

Feb 25, 2008
    just went to duncan site and their humbucker was found in the custom shop and is called "stack for single coil p-bass

scpb2 is a single coil, already have one

12. newfuture

newfuture

Jul 13, 2007