51 P location vs J neck location?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by primussucks9126, Aug 5, 2013.

1. primussucks9126

primussucks9126 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew if these pickups are in the same spot?

I remember seeing a picture a while ago that place a 51 p, standard p, and a j side by side, and had a straight line to show the j neck, top of a standard p, and 51 pickup were all in the same position.

I can't seem to find this picture anymore, so I'm wondering if that was all in my head.

Side note: There was a company that made a 51 style JAZZ bass (JAZZ BODY, 2 51 pickups, butterscotch finish, black pickguard, etc). Does anyone know who that is?

Thanks!

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Jazz is ~27.5" from the top of the pickup to the face of the nut.

SCPB is ~27" between the same points.

I just measured.

You're welcome. ;)

3. primussucks9126

Jan 1, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    You're the man!!

Just to be clear, by the "top" of the pickup, you mean the edge closest to the fretboard?

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I am the man! ;)

Yes, and those figures are obviously a little variable considering the wobble room in mounting within the rout and the differential between a plastic cover and the uncovered forbon wafer on the SCPB.

They're pretty close. People overestimate the importance of pickup placement within a reasonable variation. The "nodes" theory doesn't hold water for obvious reasons, but is less irrelevant depending on the player's technique...but that's a much longer post.

5. primussucks9126

Jan 1, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    Yeah man, I'm not worried about getting it down the mm. Just looking for some info for a potential project I'm gonna start.

if you were REALLY the man, you'd help me figure out who makes that 51 J ;).
    I saw the link to the builder's site here,but don't recall what thread or why it was posted.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You should be measuring to the center of the pole pieces, I'd think...my devalued .02

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Very true. But I do believe Jazz pickups and 51P's are approximately the same width so in this case not a big difference.

I haven't measured but this does seem to fit what I've eyeballed. The single coil P is just slightly closer to the fingerboard than the Jazz neck pickup.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's true, but it would have been harder to do in bad light with one hand.

Point is that they're very close.

9. Rick Kelly guitars in NYC makes a '51 pbass with jazz Pups. G.E Smith played that bass on the last Roger Waters tour.

10. primussucks9126

Jan 1, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    I looked it up. Cool stuff, but not the thing I was looking for.

What I saw was an actual offset jazzish body finished in butterscotch with a black guard and 2 51 pickups. It looked so cool! it was a standard model on the website, not a one off or anything.

11. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I think this is what you're talking about regarding the '51 style with 2 pickups:

http://www.nashguitars.com/ourmodels.html

I have a '51 style Squire Classic Vibe Precision with a Lindy Fralin split pickup. It sounds massive but I've thought about adding a second Fralin in the Jazz bridge position. I have to think that would be a killer setup.

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^sweet.

--love your sig line.

13. Sparkdog

Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Thanks Chef :)

I swear, most girls don't understand what bass is about at all. They focus on the singer, the guitar player, and the drummer (in that order) but we are some nebulous thing they don't get.

I say that because I get asked all the time what it is I actually do in the band. The last time it happened I held up the index and middle fingers of my right hand and wiggled them around. "See that?" I said. "Your butt is going to be moving in time to whatever these two fingers do."

She understood that.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Again: well done.

15. primussucks9126

Jan 1, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    I appreciaite the suggestion, but I couldn't find it on nash's site.

What I'm talking about is a jazz body with 2 51 pickups. But it wasn't a standard jazz shape. And the color combo was like a classic 51 p. No relicing or anything of that sort.

16. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    The pole pieces will be a little off if you used a '51 style pickup in the bridge position in a jazz bass. That's why the bridge pup is slightly longer than the neck pup in a normal jazz. It may not be enough to matter, but then again you may wind up with a weak string or 2. Maybe a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder SCPB-3 would do the job since the pole pieces are larger (1/4")?.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021