Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'51 P reissue or MIM Jazz bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chump stain, May 18, 2003.

1. I'm looking for a good 4 string that can handle one step dropped tuning. I would like to have a bass tuned DGCF for when playing with guitarists who play dropped D.

do they make a Mexi. Jazz with a Maple fretboard?
    and Would the '51 P or the MIM Jazz be alright to handle the dropped tuning? Of course I would have it set-up just for that.

I like the look of the '51, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Any thing to look out for with these 2 basses?

2. ...bump

Ok, I see that they dont make a MIM Jazz with a maple fretboard.

what about these 2 basses, I haven't got to play the '51 P, so how does it compare (tone) to a Jazz bass?

3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I don't see how a bass couldn't handle full drop D tuning... I've done that with my cheap Cort.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, I'd go with the MIM JAzz. I had a sting RI for a few weeks & it really didn't compare sound wise to a J.

Couple of flaws on the P:
    You really can't intonate the 2 saddle bridge.
    The neck is really fat (personal preference)

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Of all the drop-D guitarists I've run across, none have had all of their guitar strings detuned a whole step like you're thinking.
    Everyone I know/seen only tunes the low E string to D so they can play one-finger power chords. DADG and so forth....

You can do like me and just put a Hipshot D-tune key on your bass for those situations.

6. Yeah, I normally play a 5 string, but when I drop just the E it messes me up. I'm so use to having my intervals right where I like 'em. Trying to play some of the stuff written for drop D can be a bit of a finger twister. So, I figured a good alternitive would be a 4 string tuned down one whole step.

My one and only 4 string I do own, I had turned into a fretless after I got my 5. So I guess it would be good to have a 4 string fretted, 4 string fretless, and a 5 string fretted, then I'd be set.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    You can, but it requires some complicated bending of the adjustment screws. Look at old pictures for examples of how it's done.

For sissies, there's a drop-in modern Fender bridge that's a direct replacement.