1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

51 P replacement neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thejumpcat, Jan 24, 2012.

1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    Who makes the most authentic replacement neck for a 51 Precision?

Anybody around Detroit to take it to to have it finished, too?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Musikraft and Allparts make them with the squared off heel ( warmoth doesn't and their's are not one piece maple with the skunk stripe either).

IMO, the Musikcraft one is the most accurate since you can have the vintage 7.25" radius with vintage sized frets.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not super close, but these guys are terrific: RSguitarworks in Winchester, KY.

Are you building one, modding, or repairing? :eyebrow:

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    ^^^^
    this

5. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    Building. Picked up a Wildwood body with a bit of relic by the guys at MJT. The latter offers an Allparts neck that they finish, which I'm leaning toward.

Besides the neck choice, I'm also debating pickups: Seymour Duncan, Linday Fralin, Lollar, Novak .... I like the description of the Fralin split coil, but i also like the Duncan Antiquity. Wish I could play and hear both.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the allparts ones are great necks. they have a 9.5-10" radius with larger frets and are HUGE, so unless you want a big neck, i'd have them shave it down a bit.

as far a pickups go, for a hum free pickup, the fralin side-by-side single coils are nice, as are the duncan CS stacked single coil.

7. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    The body is what I'm going to call a 1954.5. It's mainly a slab, but it has upper bout and tummy cuts like a 55. Odd, I know, but I think it's going to be cool.

I had a Fender Custom Shop 55 with a slight V neck. I also had a 51 Reissue when they first came out, but that was a little too chunky. So I might need to get the Allparts Tele headstock neck and have it contoured a bit.

8. poisonoakie

poisonoakie

Nov 26, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Chris Stambaugh. He makes necks to spec.
    stambaughdesigns.com