'51 PJ5 Benavente modification

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumper, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    After I had Chris modify mine with a white limba body, on-board pre-amp, Hipshot ultra-lights, slightly modified bridge PUP location, and satin finish I had a bass which tonally met my needs for punch, clarity, and versatility, but it still had a stiff feel regardless of string type, so I only enjoyed playing it when it was tuned down.

One day while tweaking the set-up, I noticed how much pressure the 2 string trees were putting on the E-Gs. I loosened the string-tree screws as much as I felt comfortable with (they’re pretty short), and immediately it felt much better to me. I went to the local hardware store, found longer screws and similar diameter spacers. Once I added the spacers, I had a bass which doesn’t take a back seat to anything I’ve played. I found it looked better after I shortened the D-G spacer a little bit to match the string angle of the E-A (the string tree for the E-A is closer to the nut).

It is now used in my gigging and practice rotations where it splits duty with a Bassline equipped 55-94.

Of course this only matters if you don’t like stiff feeling strings as I personally don’t. Admittedly there are only a handful of us with these, but I hope this helps.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. I don't own one yet, but I will!
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I hear you on that! :smug:
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That's true.... I'm actually thinking about stepping up to thicker PowerFlats or maybe chromes on my fretted 5. I play hard and could use a little more resistance :bassist: