Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'51 PJ5 Benavente modification

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumper, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    After I had Chris modify mine with a white limba body, on-board pre-amp, Hipshot ultra-lights, slightly modified bridge PUP location, and satin finish I had a bass which tonally met my needs for punch, clarity, and versatility, but it still had a stiff feel regardless of string type, so I only enjoyed playing it when it was tuned down.

One day while tweaking the set-up, I noticed how much pressure the 2 string trees were putting on the E-Gs. I loosened the string-tree screws as much as I felt comfortable with (they’re pretty short), and immediately it felt much better to me. I went to the local hardware store, found longer screws and similar diameter spacers. Once I added the spacers, I had a bass which doesn’t take a back seat to anything I’ve played. I found it looked better after I shortened the D-G spacer a little bit to match the string angle of the E-A (the string tree for the E-A is closer to the nut).

It is now used in my gigging and practice rotations where it splits duty with a Bassline equipped 55-94.

Of course this only matters if you don’t like stiff feeling strings as I personally don’t. Admittedly there are only a handful of us with these, but I hope this helps.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. I don't own one yet, but I will!

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I hear you on that! :smug:

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That's true.... I'm actually thinking about stepping up to thicker PowerFlats or maybe chromes on my fretted 5. I play hard and could use a little more resistance :bassist: