Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'51 pre re-issue vs. Sting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fingerman, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Have checked out the sting bass it's great, not crazy abot his sig. on the neck, have'nt checked out the '51 yet just seen it in the Fender catalogue,They look similar aside from the stings contoured body .How do they compare? sound ,playability and are they both Japanese or is the '51 mxican like the other classics? thanks

2. Nobody seems to Know for sure if the '51 pre.is Japanese or not.these re-issues are new for 2002 not the late 80s early 90s ones. I have read all the favorable threads on the Sting. want a comparison

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I believe the '51 reissue is American made. Could be wrong though; it's happened twice before.

4. The '51 P RI is made in Japan, just like the Sting signature bass was.
    And, if you want a comparison between the two, or a general discussion, do a search, and you'll find threads like this one.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Didn't they make a 50th anniversary '51 reissue? That's the one I was talking about.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's tellin' yourself!! ;)

7. 51RI is Crafted in Japan (whatever that means).
    I have one, and love it, however, I have read somewhere that the Sting 54RI sounds better. I personally do not care enough to try out the Sting, OK, I am afraid I will like it:(
    Best test is your ears and not the opinion of people like me :D :meh: :confused: :D

8. Thank You for the comparisons,The local shop kept swearing they were mex.and that it was just the sting that was Japanese.Now I may have to sell something to buy one.