Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'51 Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tage, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Tage

Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    Is this bass so good or no good?

I need a decent bass for more of a rock feel, and I love Fenders. But I also want something that stands out a bit.

Also, are there any aftermarket pickups available for this bass?

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's a well-built Japanese Fender that's been dscussed here many times before. The main drawbacks are the primitive bridge and the somewhat vulnerable and fragile single-coil pickup. You can't anchor your thumb on the pickup without eventually wrecking it.

Single-coil=60Hz hum.

Duncan makes pickups for these, but most people I know who've tried both don't find it a real improvement over the '55 copy that comes in this import. The Japanese-market version has this US-made Duncan pickup. The export model sold by FMIC here in the US does not.

The best price I've seen on new ones so far is US$484.

3. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    i have a 1984 '51 reissue... what can i say? it's a nice bass, with a nice freatboard, and a cool tone. I've put flatwounds on and it really has "that" tone. Only thing that bothers me, is that i can't get 9th and 4th fret harmonics out from the pickup (if you play unplugged, you can hear them). Anyway i think is a great player specially if you like the "jamerson" kinda tone

4. Tage

Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    I've tried searching for past discussions, but when I searched for '51 Precision Bass' I also brought up every other precision bass topic in existance :/

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Try different strings and put them in quotes. "'51 reissue" and soforth.

Also check the bass forum on the FDP.

The search feature leaves a great deal to be desired on both these boards. :meh: