1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'51 Precision basses natural wood finishes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Apr 2, 2013.

1. I've ordered a '51 P body in alder from Warmoth, and already have the neck (also Warmoth). The look I've decided on with the help of many on this forum is natural wood, maple fretboard, and matt black guard. I'll be using MinWax wipe on PolyU and may or may not use tint, depending on how it looks on a test area without.

I'd really appreciate seeing some of your '51 basses with this scheme and thank you in advance for posting them. ;)

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    sweet , hey what do you know my '51 warmoth body and neck arrive today , see I imagine yours in Blitz black or Vintage white :)

3. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I'll be doing the Body & Neck with a Shellac sealer and the neck with MW Wipeon , currently my fav neck finish , I did a LP build that way , the MW is pretty clear , with a clear Shellac and a Satin MW wipeon the finish was very clear but has nice depth . It's a great finish but it won't color it much , perhaps a Orange Shellac base wash would give you the color , you can also add dye to Shellac as well . My LP build

Lpaw6.

Lpaw9.

4. That's a beautiful 6-string! Is that a maple top laminate? It has the low luster sheen to it (it that's the right description) that I want to achieve. Is it MinWax satin?

5. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Thanks ! it is a Maple cap on a Hog back . Yup I used Minwax wipeon poly Satin , btw that is the best feeling neck finish too , organic & woody but super smooth .

6. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I was literally just on the wormath site thinking about a '51 body with a natural finish, maple neck, and a black pick guard. Unreal. It sounds like we were almost thinking about the same bass.

I have much love for the 51 slab boddies, and the tele style controls.

I'm thinking about just getting one of these... if I can find one.
    arton1091.

7. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Here is my creation, I dubbed it ATOMIC. Warmoth slab body USAGC Jazz neck w/ tele headstock.
    I have never seen a tort guard on one of these, I think it is a natural (ha) matchup. It ties in nicely with the rosewood board, also not seen on these.

IMG_1243.
    IMG_1226.
    IMG_1248.

It's a Nordstrand SC pickup and it's hot :bassist: And if that wasn't enough, this is the lightest bass I've ever owned.

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Here's my two (excuse the distant cousin on the left).
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364937045.852570.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Awesome bass!!

10. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    very fine basses Fellas !

11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Well, five years later, this is a 1956 with the stock white 'guard. Used to be 2-tone sunburst, as the neck pocket showed.

56Front.

EightPoundsSevenOunces.

12. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Very sweet!

13. Rip Topaz - re: the bass on the right, what kind of wood is that? Is it tinted or finished in only clear? I really like that look and it's mostly what I'm aiming for.

14. The Atomic is a thing of real beauty! I've always liked the rosewood 'board with a tortoise guard and yours nails the look. What kind of finish did you use?

15. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I couldn't do it , I got all the paint and everything but soon as I slapped some Shellac on it I backed down , I don't have that many one piece basses so it seems crazy to cover it. Did a few coats of Shellac , and a couple Minwax wipe on poly coats . On the neck , which btw is a super sweet quartersawn Maple with Ebony board I did the same 'cept did a few coats of nitro satin to cover the waterslide . So quick n easy . It turned this kinda natural butterscotch which I thought was appropriate for this style so I called off the solid color and here she be so far.

Qsawn.

parts2.

parts3.

16. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    stunning basses :bassist:

17. Looks great, and I'm generally not even a fan of natural finishes...

18. Anybody know the answer to this:

If I apply Minwax wipe-on poly to the unfinished body and later want to apply a stain over the poly, is that posible to do with good results? Of course I know I'd have to apply a finish coat or two over the stain.

Thanks!