Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

51' precision classic series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UnDoNe, May 28, 2004.

1. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    i've been looking for a new bass and i like the look of this. i've heard good reviews also. anyone played it and if so how is it? thanks

2. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I have one and like it alot. The fit & finish is excellent, as is the vintage tone. The action is also excellent but I would like taller frets. The ones that come with it are a little flat for my tastes, but that seems to be what comes on Japanese built Fenders.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They seem like cool basses, the custom shop did a 50 aniveresry reissuse that rocked.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    For this price you can't go wrong on it, if you want one (click on the small image for an excellent photo spread of the instrument).

These are not strict copies of a real '51, as they have '55-style pickups, no covers, a good neck adjusting access rout and some other little improvements, plus there was never a production Fender Precision sunburst slab-body with a white pickguard before, but the sunburst is hardly less historically realistic than the schoolbus yellow.

I've written a lot about these basses, as well as the similar "Sting" and '54 Paisley/Floral.

There are some hassles, such as the somewhat later-vintage copy of the two-saddle bridge, single-coil hum and a vulnerable uncovered pickup, but if you like the '51 style, this is a good deal.

The Fujigen Gakki build is superior to US Fender's by a substantial margin, particularly in the neck finish and detailing.

5. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    My bass teacher just told me a story about a guy who had like a 50 precision but he assumed it was a Telecaster bass. He sold it for he thought was a lot of money and later it saw in a store window in NYC for about many times that amount (i didnt get an amount).
    He had checked the serial number think it was a tele, but using the number for a P the number was 9. as between 8 and 10.
    may be this is the kind of tale that goes around but i believed it.