Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'51 Precision classic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fingerman, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Any body tried these new reissues?are they Japanese or Mexican, I've only seen them in the Fender catalogue, they sure look cool.I like the Sting but i don"t like the sig on the neck. thanks

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I love those. they play like buttah, and sound like..........buttah also.......

they are great, and not too expensive either.

My only complaint though is the pickguard, too big.

3. Japanese.

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i played one at a local music store and it was HOTTTTTTTT! the neck was smooth and tight,only thing if you dont like heavely finished necks stay away cause this bass is glossed to the max. it sounds good and has a excellant finish on the body,i give it a 9.5 out of a possible 10:bassist:

5. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    i also played the sting signature, and it was awesome. really smooth, and not too big or heavy.

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think all the classic series stuff (guitar and bass) are made in Mexico...

P@

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If we're talking about the new '51 Reissue P Bass, it's CIJ (Crafted in Japan). I own one and it's a killer bass. Here's a pic of mine:

[​IMG]

8. I picked up one. It is Crafted in Japan. Mine is the 2 tone sunburst. Plays great. I actually put on flats. Love the sound, but it does take some tweaking on the amp to get the sound I want.
    The Japanese have done an incredible job on this bass. The workmanship is superb. It differs from the Sting model, in that 1) no sting signature on the 12th fret, and the sting model has contours on the body, where the 51 is a flat slab of wood:D :D
    I got mine off of Ebay for 500. What a bargain. I cannot get enough of this bass. I took off the pick guard and found a beautiful wood underneath. I am now torn between keeping the pickguard on or off..... I do not use a pick!

9. That really is a thing of beauty. First thing I've lusted after since I got my Ric.

They're bound to be available lefty so I can get one - Thats the second pig past the window today ;)

10. I tried a Sting Bass and thought it played very well looked great. The sig thing on the neck is'nt to garish, the price was resonable as well. A nice little package, if I was shopping around for a new guitar this year I would consider it.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    There are a lot more subtle differences between the '51RI and the '54RI/"Sting" than first meets the eye.

The guys I know who have both say that the neck on the '51 is slimmer and the body's made of lighter ash - which is a good thing, considering how much more wood the uncontoured body has. The ferrules are set differently and there may be some other minor stuff.

They both have the same mysterious pickup that is different than the US-made Basslines one on the Japanese domestic market instruments, but whatever the pickup is on these exports, it seems to be at least OK, if fragile. Weird thing has two different size magnets, which is something I don't recall seeing before.

The new Floral '54RIs are different still, having basswood bodies and a different body rout.

I think the '54RI/"Sting" is probably the best one of the three by a slight margin, but I'll probably get a '51RI eventually. I'm not absolutely sold on the deep-yellow loose interpretation of an aged original finish, but I might be able to live with it. It's interesting to see what the original '51 finish was like when it was new - fairly close to the recent Fender "White Blonde," if you can imagine it. The originals started yellowing immediately, but I don't know if any ever wound up looking like this current yellow.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO - If it ain't the real deal, fuggetdabowtdit.

That old wood with the decades-old nitro finish has had all this time to open up. And the pickup(s) had had all these years to "soften" and "sweeten."

I've been doing this thing for more decades than I care to admit, and I have to give it up to technology. Sure, I loved my pre-CBS Precis's. But those were exceptional and couldn't be copied.

To me, a "reissue" is just a flat-out fake. Seymour Duncan's "Vintage" pups are money spent much better on a custom made with fine woods, IMO than some marketing snake's hype about a "reissue."

13. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Uh....yeah.....and it's only several thousand dollars difference between picking up a reissue and buying an original:rolleyes: . I played one of the Sting basses and I thought it was really good for the money. I didn't even want to like it but I ended up liking it very much. Had an incredibly punchy sound for what it was, IMO. I also found the neck quite to my liking, it felt how a P-Bass neck should. I just really wish they hadn't inlaid the signature in the neck. I'm not a fan of El Stingo and I don't know if that sig would ever not bother me:meh: .

14. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

my bad boogie.... you are 100% correct! I was playing with one today, just like yours... very tempting! I just gotta figure out what to sell to pay for it!

P@

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, that was my take. I was looking for a MIJ '51RI a couple of years ago and was amazed when they started going for $1000 on eBay used, which I thought was objectively ridiculous. "Dude" Barr told me to get a Sting and that I would like it better anyway. Musician's Friend had them on sale for $449 delivered, so I went for it.

I had a major hassle with that vintage US-made (by whom?) bridge, but once I got it worked out, the Sting has become my #1 bass. I really like it a lot.

I've learned to live with the inlay. :) Though not a fan of Sting, I used to encounter him socially over twenty years ago and in that he didn't tick me off too badly, I can bear that 12th-fret stigma.:)

16. rickbass

I'll stick to my guns--- "reissue" is just some Marketing term for "here ya go....suckers".

The real deal will continue to appreciate in value into the stratosphere and continue to sound better, in many cases......(some of the origiinals are just "basket cases"). A "reissue" will always just be pretender that doesn't apreciate.

Guitar Galleria www.guitargalleria.com/ does the same thing - intentionally distressed instruments for those who can't be bothered to find a good specimen on the real deal.

It's just so phony. :rolleyes:

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually, reissues serve another less dramatic agenda rather than a stand-in for an old bass. Namely, the availability of a proven design in an affordable, playable instrument for those who want that sound but could care less about collectability, vintage instruments, etc. I own as many vintage Fenders and Gibsons as the next guy (including three pre-CBS P's) but I bought the 51 Reissue because it's a good sounding bass and very well made. I occasionally get a gig where it's just the ticket because of its unique sound.

Rickbass, your assertion that all reissues are fakes for guys who can't, for whatever reason, have a "real" one is an extremely narrow view and doesn't take into account the numerous reasons why people buy instruments. Perhaps I'm the exception but I'd guess there are others like me in the same boat. BTW, I can easily afford the "real" thing. Got a bunch of 'em, in fact.

18. rickbass

NAw, it ain't. It just shows the lack of sophisitication of the market.

See anyone building "Stradivari
    Reissues" or "Amati Reissues" for the violinist market??? :D Double bassists wouuldn't fall for a "reissue" market for a second either.

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Only everyone, my friend. This perfectly illustrates my point. Most violins built since the late 1700's are, in fact, Strad reissues! ;)

20. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    Reissue isn't a fake at all......The 51 p bass RI....it's a very classic functional bass.

In fact I was told by a custom builder recently that they are build better then the originals......better materials available nowdays.....

If I had a mint condition 51 Fender p bass, it would be worth about $25,000.

You think I am going to take it to the monthly BLUES JAM?

The whole reissue issue is a great idea in my opinion, gives us poor folk a chance to play some great looking vintage axes......without the wife threatening divorce....

WillieG