Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'51 Precision re-issue[Japanesa]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fingerman, Apr 26, 2003.

1. I know i've posted before about the new '51 classic,this one is an earlier rendition, not sure of year, probably 5 to 10 years old, are these any good,it plays and sounds good and looks just like the Sting without the autograph. Thanks

2. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Well, I think you answered your own question.

3. Ha! Ha! would like to here other peoples experieces with them, pick-up replacement ,Problems[ other than the 2 saddle bridge] etc. my test drive was very limited. Cheers

4. Darwin

Darwin

Jan 12, 2003
    St. Louis, MO.
    I've had one since 1998 and it is one of my favorites. Sound and playability is fine. There is a picture of it on my bands website.

Darwin
    http://www.kingofheartsband.com

5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    When are they going to do a reissue of the early 70's Tele bass with the humbucker? I love those basses! I had a chance to pick up one of the Sting ones really cheap and I had brief fantasies about sticking a humbucker up near the neck, but I couldn't figure out how to get rid of Sting's signature! I didn't want to get into digging out inlays.

6. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    My '51 reissiue is dated to '96 according to the serial number.

Presently, I use it as my main recording bass. It has a beautiful tone with tons of sustain and a warm, round attack when played with your fingers. The two-saddle bridge is a pain, but you can quite easily replace it with a modern fender bridge.
    It's one of my favourite basses ever. :)

7. Did you mean to say Japanese...?