1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'51 precision reissue..good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elplatanazo87, Mar 24, 2009.

1. elplatanazo87

elplatanazo87

Oct 21, 2008
    Got an offer to buy one for 579$ I'm gonna offer him 500$ for it.

The pickup's already been changed to a duncan and the bridge has been change for easier intonation, both mods that I wouldve done if I got one new. These go for around 900-1000 new, should I go for it?

2. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    $500.00 would be a deal if you ask me.

3. If it is in good condition and you like the mods, $500 is solid. I love mine set up with flats and the bell & ashtray for that rootsy feel.

4. I think it's a good deal.. I love mine :)

5. No matter what it is, if you can get it for 1/2 the new price and it's in good shape its a good deal. There may be exceptions, but generallt speaking that applies to most things. The mods are a plus if you wer gonna do them anyway.

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    They're discontinued and GC closed them out nationally for $399.99 a couple of months ago (there were threads here to that effect). Before that, they were routinely on sale at my GC for $475-$525 with no takers.

Whether you want these mods (I personally wouldn't) and whether they were performed properly may add (or detract) from the value, but all things going in the right direction, I'd say $500 is absolute tops.

Something to be careful of on these is fretwear. They have the little "vintage" frets and if it was played long with the cheap stainless rounds that came on it, they could well be toast. Here's hoping the guy had the sense to put flats on it.

7. hmm. in light of that I take back what I said. I was going off what the OP said for price, I have never had an interest in one of these, and hence never priced them.

8. elplatanazo87

elplatanazo87

Oct 21, 2008
    Well, I've been looking pretty much everywhere for one. And haven't found one in my area. Anywhere I looked they were all on sale for more then 900. I know all about that fretwear thing, I'll be using flatwounds asap. From what i've seen it looks like its in very good shape

9. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    do it!!

killer bass, at a pretty good price IMO.
    have you played it? did you like it? get it!!

10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    They have not been discontinued, but the price has gone up. I have one and I love it. You have to like the 'vintage' frets and chunky neck (which I do) but it's got a killer sound.

11. True Dat. Currently on the Fender website at a suggested list price of $1,180.00 US. If anyone got one at $399 new out the door of GC, or anywhere else, that is a friggin' smokin' deal in my opinion. I got mine for $600 new in 2004 and haven't regretted the purchase one nanosecond since.

So, I stick by what I said earlier: If you like the mods and it is in good shape, that is a solid buy. String it with some flats of your choice (I went with Fenders) and let that ol' dog BARK! :bassist:

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Are you certain the single coil "early bass" thang is for you??? If so, $500 seems OK, if a wee high. See if you can get the stock bridge and pickup thrown in to sweeten the deal.

What about a case or good gig bag? That is a price factor, too.