Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'51 precision replacement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kid Charlemagne, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Anyone tried any replacement pickups on their '51 reissues or Sting signature basses?
    I have heard that the seymor duncan "hot" model is especially good.

:D

2. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz

Mar 9, 2002
    Mass.
    Bill Lawrence makes one also that is supposed to be pretty nice, and is also noiseless.
    www.billlawrence.com

I believe it is a special order, so it probably is not on the webpage. Call him up and discuss it.

3. Rio Grande also makes a model. I think Lindy Fralin might as well.

4. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Cheers!

Never heard of these companies, proves that you learn something every day. :)
    Any website adresses?

And also, do you guys know where I can get chrome pickup/bridge covers at a reasonable price? I should add that I'm located in europe.

5. I have the Rio Grande vintage model. I can't say I'm really pleased with it. I always just solo the other pickup (Fender '62 PBass reissue). I should find a replacement some day, but I'm very happy with the sound of the soloed '62. If it ain't broke, minds as well not fix it; right?

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I just finished a Sting Signature project which I just sold on eBay. I replaced the stock pickup with a Duncan SPB-2 "Hot" pickup and it really opened up the tonal range of the bass over the stock pup. Added some more "thump" to the bass. I got it from John Wymore at Black Rose Custom Guitars

I had a '68 Tele-Bass bridge cover which I installed on the bass but got a repro pickup cover from John Sprung at BassParts.com I also bought a new Fender Deluxe strings through the body, 4 saddle bridge to replace the two saddle stock bridge on the Sting from John Sprung.

Here's the finished project...turned out nice if I say so myself!

Dude's Hot Rodded Sting Bass

7. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    That bass is beautiful, Dude! :)
    Thanks for the tips, I think I'll go with the Duncan, just as you did. Hopefully, I'll find the covers too.
    My bass is a '96 MIJ '51 reissue, which I've had for a couple of years but just recently started to play and love really much.

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    John Sprung at bassparts.com stock the chrome covers at very reasonable prices.

There's also some original vintage covers up on eBay right now.

9. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Cheers, Dude!
    Hopefully, the shipping to Europe is reasonable too! (Man, I wish I lived in the States sometimes!)

:)

10. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Kid,

Shipping to Europe runs about $12.00 to $24.00 depending on how fast you need it. Shoot me an e-mail if you are interested in the Duncan SCPB "Hot". I got them in stock ...

blackrosecustom@attbi.com