51 Reissue issue....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sean S, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Hi gang...

Since the search is down, and I don't feel like browsing 20billion pages of info (or maybe just 20 haha), I was wondering, are there any replacement pickups available for a 51 p-bass?
    I was looking at getting a reissue, but i read that the p-up was weak, so I might want to upgrade...any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean

2. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Take a look at Jason Lollar's website. I know he makes replacements for the 51'P and have heard good things about them. (I would say "do a search" but, well, you know...;)

BTW-- that's a nice bass.

3. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I know Seymour Duncan makes 'em. They do a stacked-coil version, too, as a custom shop item. Nordstrand will make you one, I think (There's some threads in the DudePit about replacement '51 pups, and a guy there posted an image of his bass, which he said had a Nordy). I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

4. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    I played one at GC recently, and the pickup sounded great to me. It's a nice warm balanced sound. Good lows and plenty of mids and highs as well. Sounded really good to me, at least the one I played. You may not have to replace it at all. If you arent satisfied though, all of the companies mentioned above make replacements. Rio Grande makes a 51' P replacements. One is a vintage toned model, and the other is supposed to have a really hot output.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

5. thanks for the input...
    I will try the stock pickups for a while...if not, i'll bring it in to the shop :D

6. I bought a Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder. While it was a little louder and a typical P bass tone, it lost the beautiful character that I originally bought this bass for. I went back to the original. With the original, some good Rounds like DR High Beams you can get a P bass tone or some growl by changing the attack and position where you pluck the strings. I had an MIA Jazz that I sold to get this bass after playing it and falling in love with it's tone.
    I find this bass very soulful just as it is. Much fatter tone than a J bass.

7. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I like the original pickup as well. Especially with some flats and maybe some mutes. Sounds pretty close to what a real 1951 Precision sounded like in, well, 1951. Remember, it was made to sound like a double bass, but be much more portable and easier to hear.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I think that Lindy Fralin makes one. He repaired my '55 P
    pup (NOTan RI) and it sounds fine.

I would consider working with the factory pup at first, and
    experimenting with strings, action, and pickup height adjustment.

It is tricky to get a balanced sound across all four strings, but
    it can be done. Gasing for a '51!!! :bassist: :bassist:

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021