1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

51 Reissue P Bass w/ regular P or J neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atauntaun, Apr 21, 2009.

1. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    Here's the deal. I recently picked up up a pretty heavily modded 51 P Reissue here on TB. It's a great bass, however it's fretless and I want a fretted neck for it.

3464206454_6829647f90_b.

Has anyone put a regular style P (non tele headstock) or even a J neck on one these that could post a picture? There is a Moses J neck with an ebony board that I am interested in, but just can't quite picture what it would look like with the different style headstock. Also it will have a PG on it, I just took it off because I am getting a different one made.

Thanks!

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Well your problem will be the heel of the neck needs to be square [ like that most fender or replacement necks are rounded (like that

anyways thats a sweet bass i wish i would have seen it when it was for sale

3. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    Thanks for the reply LCW. It is a pretty cool bass, but I would use it way more if I changed the neck.

Currently the neck on it is a Warmoth with a rounded heel. It fit's fine but if you look closely there is a gap at the corners. Though it's mostly covered by the over hanging fretboard.

4. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Oh okay , well i think it would look fine with a regular p style headstock on it if i had paint on my computer i could edit a regular headstoc kon it but i dont :(

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've put necks with the rounded heel on a '51 RI body (with the square neck pocket) with no problems. It leaves a slight gap at the corners of the neck pocket that can't be seen from a few feet away.

If you use a neck with an extended fingerboard, such as a Warmoth, then the gaps are covered by the extension.