Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

51 reissue PBass or 1990s Rick 4003?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimthorpeiv, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Jimthorpeiv

Jimthorpeiv

Sep 27, 2004
    Imagine that you play bass in a band that does some psychedelic country-rock (ie: The Byrds circa Nortorious Byrd Brothers). Considering that you could pick up either bass for the same amount of $$$ which would you buy, and why?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Since this is essentially an image question, what finish / condition are both basses in?

3. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    This is interesting because these would be my choices as well. I guess any traditional pbass would be cool as well, but Ric's and 51 p's are just it for me.

I gotta Blue Flower 51 style. I love it. I think I would prefer the Ric though.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Don't have much experience with either of these basses but my first thought in reading the thread title was these basses are apples and oranges. Choosing between a Ric and a J would be oranges and oranges - or I'm I missing something here?

Wait a minute, the '51 had that "ric type" neck pup. I almost bought one once. Is there that much difference between it and the split P pup?

5. I think the Ric would be the better bass overall. The 51 is MIJ, and though it's really cool, the Ric is likely better built and has a great sound. See if the P bass really calls to you, because they are quite good for the price. But if it's the same price as the Ric, I think the 4003 will be the more favourable one.