1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'51 reissue pickguard help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Salo70, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Salo70

Salo70

Sep 28, 2009
    Finland
    I own a Fender '51 reissue bass. The only thing missing from my baby-poo colour beauty is the hole for the tugbar. I know, "just drill it, man!" Well i'm not your average "diy" kinda guy, i installed the bridge and pickup covers to my '57 for 8 hours straight (and still managed to get the bridge cover 0,5-1,0mm crooked :bawl:). So i'm wondering does someone know a place to order a new pickguard with the hole in it, or is anyone willing to trade his/her pg to my brand new virgin pg? (i'll pay the shipping + extra) :help:

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Wow 8 hours...really ;) Well you are over thinking this. I guess look at any older pics and where they had the bars at, line it up, drill, screw...ta -da ....done. I put my tugbar right above the pup slightly to the rear since i like to use the pup on my P bass to anchor my thumb and cant on the 51.

3. Salo70

Salo70

Sep 28, 2009
    Finland
    I wish it would be that easy for me too... Ever since the day i mounted the ashtrays to my '57 American Vintage PB, i haven't been able to touch the bass at all. I can't enjoy the beauty or the amazing sound of it ,all i can think of is the (0,5mm) crooked bridge cover... :eyebrow: I know, i need professional help. :p

4. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    I have a new black pickup guard, it has the hole in it.....for the tugbar.

I am changing the pickguard so I don't need it anymore......

Let me know if you are interested......

WillieG

5. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    If it makes you feel any better.. My custom shop 59 PBass came from the factory with crooked holes for the bridge cover..

So if those guys can't get it right.. you're in good company!

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Just do it man! I drill my basses in a heart beat. You cant take em with ya, so you might as well enjoy em.

7. Salo70

Salo70

Sep 28, 2009
    Finland
    Actually, that cheers me up in some weird kinda way... :rolleyes: sorry. Yeah, i saw a Custom Shop 50's relic the other day and the pickup cover was crooked as f..k. I guess they have a guy there who is just "eyeballing" all day and is not too worried about things.

8. Salo70

Salo70

Sep 28, 2009
    Finland
    Yes, i'm interested! :hyper: I actually drilled the tugbar-hole (and i haven't touched the bass since...) and mounted the ashtrays. I'm happy with the way the covers turned out and reasonably happy with the tugbar-issue... If you sell me the pickguard i can fill the hole and mount the new pickguard with the "official factory tugbar-hole" :D Perhaps you can send me a private message about the price and shipping?

9. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    Maybe the custom shop has some custom "weed".......

I had a tech guy here in Japan install the ashtrays........he was so exacting and constantly MEASURING AND ADJUSTING.....made me nervous watching him....but he got it perfect.

It took about 5 minutes.....once he had it measured and marked off....

No excuse for sloppy work from the custom shop......especially when they charge premium prices.

willieG

10. Salo70

Salo70

Sep 28, 2009
    Finland
    Do you know how much would the shipping cost to Finland? Have you figured out a price for your pickguard yet? :hyper: